Chapter Seven

☁️_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I pushed myself closer to him, practically thrusting my hips into him. He choked on his breath.

How the hell did I end up as the bait?

Reluctantly, I slammed my lips into his. I could tell by the way that he kissed back that this was probably his first proper live action in a while.

Unfortunately, it could be his last. He won't have the keys to unlock anymore hearts after this.

Especially as I was currently slipping my hand down his torso, to his belt, where he kept the special key to release my Special One.

He weaved his fingers into my thick locks just as I managed to grasp onto the keys. And she strikes again.

Then I kicked his baby making machine.
Oops?

He fell back in a grunting mess, whilst I, on the succeeding side, sprinted off into the distance with my prize in my hands.

But the rush of it all choked me when I realised what just happened.

I kissed him.
But I wasn't imagining him.
I was imagining Jace.

I met my group whilst still lost in my thoughts, and Mrs Beaufort snagged the keys out of my hand without any resistance.

Nothing was really clear, only Jace, who approached me with a grin on my face.

He squeezed my shoulder. "Well done." But I couldn't quite meet his gaze. He didn't seem to think anything of it, and soon joined Elle in trying to figure out which key was for which door. I was positive that she could manage it on her own, but Jace is just that kind of person.

"You alright?" The voice startled me, especially since I had only been listening to two for a few hours now.

I turned my head to look up at my frenemy. Although not quite my height, I didn't have to crane my neck as much as Sky has to in order to meet Jameson's stare.

I looked away. "Just caught in a whirlwind." I was pretty sure that Jameson knew there was more to elaborate on, but he wasn't Sky. He doesn't know how to handle me and my many secretive emotions. So he left me alone, silent but still standing beside me, as if to remind me that he was there to talk to.

I'd never admit it to him, but he had pretty good manners. Which, annoyingly—in this present moment, reminded me uncannily of Jace.

Ugh, go away, Cupid. Valentines Day isn't for another two months. Just let me be.

"Fan out, go!" Mrs Beaufort shooed Jameson and us off. She had decided that if anyone was to be caught snagging Sky out of her room, it'd have to be the therapist and the woman that half of the Academy's council didn't even know.

Sighing, I guided Jameson to his point of defence, and then took my position. We'd be looking for danger. Which is easy enough, since we don't really have to do much looking when the entire Academy is running after us.

Moments passed. Elle had promised to be quick as possible, but 'quick' soon seemed like three decades. Nonetheless, she and Jace actually managed to make it back to us in decent time.

With Sky.

I jumped in immediately, noting that she was awake. Jace was holding her, I'm guessing since he couldn't actually fight—not like we needed him to. Though, by just looking at the way he was gazing down at her intently, I knew that he had just as much input into the decision as Elle did.