Chapter Twenty-Seven

^ Alexi steal-your-man/therapist Abbot ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

"Did you need help with those?" Jace asked, watching me lug two suitcases to the car. I turned to smile at him before shaking my head. He backed off, and I appreciated that he could offer help, but that he knew I was fully capable myself. Except, I think that's what he thought most of the time.

I had recited my completely made up plan to the group just forty-five minutes ago. I had decided that we would leave in groups, just in case. We needed a cover here at the hotel, someone to dig the stake in the ground whilst we took the most capable on our mission.

Of course, as there always is when you go on a mission with five Special Ones and an infant, there are disputes over who to take with us. And that was without us considering Jace, the loose end; he wasn't a Special One, but he also wasn't a Guardian. We just had to utilise him well.

With new editions Jonah, Kim and Clara to our mission, we now had six Guardians. Although it's true that our Guardians outweigh our Special Ones, it definitely isn't enough. Given that Sky already has two assigned Guardians—Jameson and me—and that every Special One on the mission also has one Guardian each, we're still a Guardian or two lighter than we should be. And I hate to admit it, but that's kind of because of Mel.

If we had Mel, Avery's assigned Guardian, we wouldn't need to spare one of ours. Thankfully, with Elle around, she could be our substitute. But then we have Cassie and her baby to consider. It definitely wouldn't just be enough to give her one Guardian. We also have to consider the fact that me, Sky and Jameson aren't exactly the most innocent, if anything, the Academy would come straight for us.

It's funny, I've never been considered vulnerable before. But I am now.

I closed the boot door, having thrown in the last of the suitcases. Jace helped me through the snow, which I smiled gratefully up at him for.

Entering the hotel's reception again, chaos was still in pursuit. Even though I had just spent ten minutes throwing suitcases into a boot, the first group leaving was still not confirmed. I just wanted to do something useful instead of waiting around arguing. Either Jace agreed or just wanted to follow me to the car—which kind of sounds weird.

"–it's not enough anymore to just follow our own rules—we don't have many Guardians as it is, we can't just be throwing them around hoping that what we figured out would be the best."

"If I could just interject. We need the routine. It hasn't worked for god knows how many years because it was a religion we falsely believed in—it was cleverly calculated based on the skill of the Guardian and the vulnerability of the person."

I pulled a face, joining Elle's side. "I'm surprised you're not involved." I said, watching Kim, Jonah and Jameson in the middle of a dispute.

Elle smiled. "I am, I'm watching them ruin a perfectly good opportunity for a plan." I scoffed, prompting her to raise her eyebrow at me.

Elle cleared her throat, making everyone grow quiet almost immediately. "There's just one problem with all of your arguments," everyone looked at her expectantly. "They're all lazy." I sniggered behind my hand. God, does this woman ever stop being controversial?