Chapter Thirteen

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I shivered, pulling my coat in closer to my chest. Well, it wasn't technically my coat. But I had it on, so I pretty much took ownership of it.

I stared out in the distance, my eyes finding Jameson and Sky as they sat on a brick wall, somehow finding ways to tangle their limbs together. Sky's hair danced around their faces, shielding their conversation. I watched them happily, and probably creepily, as we waited.

It was weird, I probably shipped them more than they shipped themselves.

And then a car came speeding out from under the bridge. I lept out from where I stood by a tree; I had to stay on my feet. Elle had wandered around, but mostly stayed where she sat on a frosty log. Jace kind of hovered. I didn't know what he was doing, or looking at, half of the time, but I felt a little more content with him a few metres away.

Elle and Jace followed me as I ran to the car, only to nearly be knocked out by the car door. I dodged it with pure finesse, and the driver grinned when he saw me.

"You alright, Abbot?"

I beamed at him, about to respond when I heard a thud from the other side of car. I tensed, until I saw a figure appear.

"Saph?" I heard Sky ask from behind me, before she lept out and pulled her in for a tight hug.

"You're alright." I heard Sapphire murmur to Sky as she pulled her in closer.

"You brought your girlfriend?" I asked Jonah, who had to drag his eyes away from his partner in crime. I raised an eyebrow at him, a feature of mine that Sky had always envied. I don't know why—eyebrow raising isn't some kind of elitist skill.

Sapphire pulled away from Sky, and when I saw her, I just knew why Jonah had picked her. She was beautiful. He also evidently had a type, which was especially obvious when I looked down to see her wearing high-heeled boots.

But I didn't care.
They're my friends.
He is my friend.

I walked over to Jace and gestured for him to board our mode of transport. It looked as though we'd be taking the boot, especially as Elle had already made herself comfortable in the middle row for three. I hope Jameson and Sky don't mind an excursion with Mother Beaufort.

Jace shook his head and lifted the boot door open for me. I smiled my head but quickly turned, climbing up into the boot and so hiding any flushing that most likely occurred.

Jace joined me shortly as I watched Sapphire and Jonah share a quick kiss before Jonah slipped into the driver's seat. We were then joined by Sky, who clambered in first and sat down beside her mother. They still weren't talking—she still didn't know who she was.

Jameson followed Sky in, and the two shared a very smitten look. I hoped they wouldn't bring us any trouble later; we'd have to get a hotel room at some point, and I didn't want model babies ruining our plan. Or my reputation for amazing looks.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jace lean towards me. I jerked my head to my left, catching him by surprise slightly. He tapped my seatbelt before sitting back in his seat.

I nodded and then leaned forward. "Seatbelts on, children." I instructed, leaning over Sky's chair. She looked up and rolled her eyes, but I saw a hint of a smile as she buckled herself in.

Jameson didn't really react to my demand, but he buckled himself in nonetheless. Seeing that everyone was safe in their seats, I leaned back in my chair to fasten my own seatbelt.