Chapter Thirty-Eight

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

As Kim cut the cake and began distributing it out, Elle approached me, beaming, though still looking concerned.

"I told you I'd throw you a party." She said. In that moment, I recalled it.

I nodded, a smile on my face. "You did."

Elle frowned. "Are you okay?" She asked, stepping forward, "are you in pain? If it's too much you can go back to bed."

I shook my head, forcing my smile to grow, "no, don't be silly, I'm fine." Despite my awesome acting skills, Elle didn't seem convinced.

She was soon distracted by Richard, though, which gave me a chance to escape. I pulled myself up and off the chair, bothering no one as I limped over to the back door, making my escape.

I stepped out into the harsh January temperatures, turning to my right and finding Jonah—smoking.

Usually I'd object, but I moved over to him, holding my hand out. He stared at it.

"Give." I said, gesturing to his cigarette.

He frowned. "You're wounded." He replied.

I rolled my eyes, reaching out to take it from his hand. He stopped me, pulling a pack out from his pocket.

I thanked him, pulling out one and taking his lighter, flicking the flame and placing the cigarette in my mouth.

I handed him his lighter back, pulling the cigarette out of my mouth and seeing the smoke come out in puffs.

"We haven't done this since we were fifteen." Jonah said, blowing out smoke.

"Probably because we got caught by your mum via tape recording." I replied, placing the cigarette back between my lips again.

Jonah sniggered. "Stop making it sound like we're ancient."

I shrugged, looking out at the meadows, albeit clouded by our smoke.

"We probably are, especially to your just about innocent girlfriend." I retorted, feeling him glance at me.

"She's our age." Was all he said.

"What does she think about your smoking?" I asked, "is she going to get sucked in, too?"

I turned to see him shake his head, "no, that was just you." He said, pointing his cigarette at me.

I kicked his shoe, which probably hurt me more than it did him.

I was about to introduce a new subject of conversation when a figure appeared from the left of me.

"There you are–" they broke off terribly, before appearing in front of me.

It was Jace. And he was eyeing my cigarette.

I blew out the smoke. "Here I am." I saw him crinkle his nose up in distaste as the smoke blew into his face.

"What are you doing?" He asked me, slowly growing annoyed.