Chapter Eighty-Five

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I frowned, noticing that the sound came from downstairs.

"Was that Lexi?" Jameson asked, joining my side from where he had previously been, unpacking his clothes into the wardrobe.

I hummed, nodding, "I'm pretty sure."

He frowned, "What's wrong now?"

I shook my head, placing my toiletries down onto the side, "I have no idea but I'm getting best friend intuition."

I started for the stairs, trying to think of where Lexi could have gotten to. Entering a long corridor, I recognised Jace's figure stood in the room at the end of the hallway and frowned. I was starting to make out what they were all saying as I got closer.

"...we didn't invite you."

"You didn't invite Harry either."

I reached the room finally, pushing open the door and spotting Lexi, arms crossed over her chest and eyes narrowed. Jace stood behind Lexi, glancing between his girlfriend and whatever was behind the door. Lexi's eyes met mine and, when they did, they widened slightly.

When I saw who it was—a blond girl, dressed in all black, I froze.

"Sky, it's nice to see you."

I clenched my jaw. "How dare you–"

Jameson halted my moving body with just a hand, holding me back from trying to attack the girl and probably embarrassing myself too.

Amelia Brown.

Back at the Academy, she and two others—Owen Everon and our very own Jonah Torrest—had been told mine and Jameson's biggest secret. We were in love with each other but, according to Guardian laws, it was illegal. I think our love was always a big factor in our escape but the Academy's faults was now an even bigger reason. We were not safe there.

Amelia, who went by the nickname Mel to her Special One, Saph—she was my best friend who lost her life for this mission—was an enemy of mine at the Academy. Just as Eden—Jameson's best friend when we had met—had done with Harry, she tried to ruin my life. How? She distracted Jameson with the idea of her, the idea that she loved him—she lured him in with desperation.

She nearly cost me my life. This was last year, seven months ago. And now she's back.

I inhaled. "Leave, now."

Mel's lips quirked up into a smirk. "Or what? You'll suffocate me with your long, blond hair, Rapunzel?"

I clenched my fists, itching to throw them into Mel's face. Jameson held me back, again.

Someone joined me. "No, Brown, the pleasure is all mine," Lexi said, voice low. I was glad that she was almost as angry as me, maybe even more—it meant I was still 'rational and sane Sky'.

Lexi and Mel had always had some sort of opposition between them. I suspected that they had been rivals in their classes but maybe it was much more than I ever thought.