Chapter Twenty-Five

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

Cassie sat down, cradling the infant carefully in her arms. I had never seen the free spirit so calm and compassionate.

Sky wandered into the room cautiously. I think she was just in shock. So was I, in all honesty. I shot her a look, which she seemed to take comfort out of.

She sat next to Cassie. "Are you okay?" Was the first thing she asked, glancing between Cassie and the baby. The other girls had gone to find the others, understanding that we needed some time alone to digest the new information. Well, I just stuck around to support Sky.

It was hard not to show that I was feeling quite maternal right now. I'm eighteen today, officially an adult, and Cassie decides it's the best time to parade a baby in front of me when I can't even get my crush to say my name.

Cassie flashed Sky a knowing glance. "Would you like to hold him?" She asked. Sky looked down at the baby, and I think I saw something change in her. She was always compassionate and caring, but I felt as if maybe she'd throw herself in front of the baby if a gunman jumped out of nowhere. It was kind of similar to what I'd do to protect Sky.

Sky nodded, and soon the baby was in Sky's arms. I'm positive that Sky has never held a baby before, but she definitely looked like she knew what she was doing. If it were me, my arms would probably go to jelly.

Cassie sighed, soon launching into her explanation. "I lied to you, Sky, when I said that I wasn't pregnant after we talked about what Harry had done to me." I kind of felt out of place, just casually lurking in the corner, but Cassie soon beckoned me over to sit on the armchair.

Doing so, I became entranced with her story as she continued.

"I missed my period at the end of April, and so began taking the pregnancy tests in May. To start with, I didn't tell Kim what the tests had said, but then I realised that I had no idea what to do. Kim had always known the answers, she's much older too, I just thought she'd have some sort of advice." Cassie breathed out shakily, but when she looked down at her baby, she seemed to find comfort.

"Kim said that it was way too late for any emergency contraceptives, and that the only solutions would be abortion or adoption—or just to keep the baby." She took a deep breath. "I was too scared to even give birth to the baby, so I decided to abort it. We spent hours upon hours looking through abortion methods, but then I realised that I didn't want it. I didn't want the abortion." She fitted the fabric hat onto the baby's head as it began to slip before continuing.

"I wasn't sure about adoption. But I thought that was the road I was going down. It became increasingly hard to hide the bump, even with all the baggy tops I wore, and by August—when you left, Sky—it was becoming far too evident. I was lucky that I could find a ballgown to hide it slightly for the Ball. I was also lucky with your timing, Sky, because I also left the Academy in August, as a sort of maternity leave. I told the girls that Kim and I were going on a well-deserved holiday, and that I didn't know when I'd come back home, but that I'd make it for Christmas." Cassie smiled, tucking strands of her hair behind her ear.

"Colton arrived early morning on December the third, and it took me less than thirty seconds to name him. I just felt it when I looked at him," Cassie gazed down at her baby, and I felt as though she was playing it all in her head again. "Colton Wilson." She whispered, as if to him.