-Chapter 29

-Chapter 29: Something is in the Air

"I want ice cream!"

"Well, you can't have any," I say, looking at the man in the bed. He's acting like his is five years old. "You have to stick to your diet or else you're going to have some serious problems with your health. You're here because of your needs to have things you can't have."

"What is going on in here?"

I look over and stare Kiriya Kujo in the eyes. "I'm handling a patient, Mr. Kujo. What do you need? Did someone die and you need me to say something about it?" I ask, turning my attention back to the patient. "I'll get you something delicious that is allowed with your diet."

"That is all I'm asking for!" No, ice cream was what was asked for.

"I'll go and see what Mr. Kagami thinks, okay? After all, he's in charge." I turn and step over to Kiriya and lean in a bit. "Why are you bothering me when I'm on the clock?"

"Because I was bored handling things all alone with my job. We don't have a dead body yet. I've already looked into them all last night. Can't believe on one has died."

"There are other people with your job that can look at bodies at other hospitals. Why don't you go and find a new job if you can't handle the load you get here?"

"You don't have to be rude to me."

"I'm being rude because you're annoying me," I state, moving around him. He is blocking up all the space I need to get out of the room.

He grabs my wrist. "Kara...have you blanked out at all today?"

I turn and look at him. "I don't think I have. I think I would remember missing part of my memory for the day," I answer. "Why are you bringing that up here? What if someone overhears our conversation and starts spreading rumors? Do you want that to happen?"

"I don't want that to happen unless it has to come to that. Why are you afraid of something like that getting out?"

"Hiiro Kagami would want me out of the CR."

"You don't know that."

"Don't know what?"

I look over, staring at Hiiro Kagami who is totally cold looking right now. I look back at Kiriya and he releases my wrist, trying to be all natural in front of Hiiro. He smiles and laughs.

"Oh, I was talking about one of her patients. She doesn't know if one could die or not. I was just telling her to keep an eye out for her patients."

"Is he being honest, Kara?"

"Not entirely. He left out the part when he was trying to tell me how to do my job." I need to punish him.

"Kiriya, it is my job to tell Kara what to do when she's doing her job. Kara, did the patient try getting ice cream? If so, that is a no. They can have something plain."

"You tell them that. They want something delicious and I can't give them that. I'm not going to take the heat on this one. You get it."

"Alright, I will do that." Hiiro moves around me and enters the room. "Sir, you're going to have to stick to a diet consisting of plain food. No ice cream or else."

"But that nurse said she would find me something delicious."

"Plain food can be delicious. You should learn to enjoy because that is all you're going to have for now."

Kiriya chuckles and grabs my hand, pulling me away from the room. "Follow me."

"Alright, I will. I got nothing better to do."