-Chapter 33

-Chapter 33: The Hidden Card

"And you're?"

"I'm the Nurse that was watching your friend help you with your game sickness, remember?" I look at Kiriya's friend, Yoshitaka.

"Oh, I remember you!" He exclaims, smiling brightly. "What is your name?"

"I'm Kara Dan," I answer, smiling. "You might know me from my former name, Kara Amor." I officially had my name changed since it'll make sense to have me be taking my husband's last name.

"Oh, I see. It is nice to meet you again, Kara." Yoshitaka holds out his hand and I take it, shaking it. "So, I'm assuming you got married?"

"Yes, I did but it wasn't exactly of my free will. It was something that needed to happen for the sake of the other things going on before the marriage. I bet you're wondering why I am here talking to you, right?"

He nods his head. "Yeah, it is weird. Did you hang out with Kiriya often?"

"We have a special relationship," I answer. "I was wondering about a camera that he left here. Is it still here? I took some pictures of him and me and I would love to get them printed."

"Were you two having an affair?"

I laugh. "No, it wasn't like that." In a way it was but it never exactly was. I wouldn't even consider it like one anyways. I did get married without my own consent.

"I see. Well, everything is the way he left it. Do you know where he is?"

"Uh..." I look away. "That I don't know about. I just remembered that he spent his holidays with me. So, I'm going to go and get that camera now. Thank you for your help, Yoshitaka."

"Are you American?"

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"Your Japanese is excellent."

"Thank you." I smile. "I'm going to get it now before I forget to."

"Kara, what are you doing here?" Hiiro asks me and I turn to look at him.

"The real question is what you're doing here," I say, answering his question. "Did you come to get something?"

"No, I came looking for you. The Ministry of Health is looking for you about something." He's keeping my marriage to a criminal a secret isn't he?

"Is it about what I think it is?" I ask.

"What is going on?" Yoshitaka asks curiously.

"It isn't anything you should worry about. It is just standard stuff about the program we're going to probably start using. We plan to have foreign workers come in to have them experience how we do stuff here in Japan," Hiiro says, lying.

"Oh."

I smile. "I'll be there once I get what I came to get. Would you like to join me, Hiiro?"

"Sure."

"I'll go now." Yoshitaka walks away, leaving me with Hiiro.

I move over to the area where Kiriya's stuff is and picks up the bag I gave him in the morning on Christmas. I pick it up, closing my eyes tightly. He didn't throw it out once he got rid of me from this part of the hospital. He didn't get the chance to.

"Is something wrong, Kara? Why are you holding that bag like that?" Hiiro asks in his cold voice. He doesn't know about me spending my Christmas morning with Kiriya.

I open my eyes and turn towards Hiiro. "I spent that morning with him," I answer. "And that night. It wasn't anything serious so you shouldn't think the wrong thing, okay? I was just spending it with him because of my situation. Who would want to spend the Holidays with someone who married a criminal mastermind?" A tear slides down my cheek. "He didn't toss out the bag I had the gift I gave him."