-Chapter 40

-Chapter 40: The Truth Ain't Pretty

"I'm glad you're doing this with me, Kara." Emu smiles. This is kind of awkward since Parad kissed me with those lips. Yikes! Emu isn't ugly at all but he's not my type of guy. He's sort of the guy I would go for if I needed someone to make me feel good about myself.

"I'm glad I can be of help to you, Emu. Can we go and see my husband's father now?" I have to keep pretending that I don't know who Masamune is. "I can't wait to meet him and see what he has to say."

Poppy looks at me. "Make sure to keep it straight with who I am. I'm Asuna right now," she states. "Don't make me act all weird in front of the officers, okay?"

I nod. "I won't do that to you."

"Sit down."

I sit down as they sit to the right of me. I hope Masamune keeps his stupid mouth shut when he sees me. I can't have him telling Emu I know a lot about what is going on around here.

The door opens and Masamune enters followed by an officer. He looks at us and he turns, wanting to go away. His eyes land on me and he stops in his tracks.

Emu stands up and bows. "My name is Emu Hojo and I work at Seito University Hospital. It is very nice to meet you, Masamune."

Masamune looks away. "Emu?"

Does he have memory loss or something? We were just talking about this not too long ago! He must have forgot about it because he is probably waiting to get out of prison. Oh, I think I got it! Actually, I figured it out now. He's pretending to not know him because I'm here and he doesn't want them to know I visited him on my own. Good choice, Masamune.

Masamune looks at Emu, staring at him in slight shock. "You're Emu?" 

Masamune moves over to the chair and sits down, staring at us. "You know about me?" Emu asks him.

He leans back a bit in his chair, looking the other way. "What do you want?" He doesn't sound thrilled to have us here.

Emu sits down and. "The medical examiner, Kiriya Kujo, who visited you on Christmas last year was killed after he talked with you. Your son did it."

Masamune looks up, staring at Emu and then at me. He's probably thinking about how I didn't tell him this. He probably knows I was buddy-buddy with Kiriya Kujo.

Masamune looks away, placing his arm on the little thing in front of him. He could probably stick some coffee on there. I really want some coffee right now. But no! Hiiro made me miss it by forcing me to work all night.

"I see," he says, not looking at us. "It is a pity. I expected as much from him." He looks up, staring at Emu and Poppy.

"You expected as much?" Poppy asks. She sounds really curious.

Emu leans forward, placing his arms on the little area in front of us. "What did you talk about with Kiriya Kujo? Can you please tell me about it? I want to know why he was killed. Also, Kara wants to know why he was killed. She was his friend before he died. She was supposed to visit with him but he didn't take him, which is very fortunate. She didn't even up getting harmed on Christmas..."

"But I witnessed Kiriya die," I say, looking into Masamune's eyes.

Masamune leans forward, placing his other arm on the thing in front for him. "Can you stop my son, Emu?"

"Yes, I can stop him. I will make him pay."

"You can trust Emu on this," I state. "So, can you tell us? Please?"