-Chapter 32

-Chapter 32: Merry Freaking Christmas!

I hold out a bag towards Kiriya, who is sitting across from me in his little work space. "Merry Christmas, Kiriya," I say, smiling. "This is a little gift for you that I put together."

He takes the bag and he picks up a tiny bag on his desk. "And this is for you." He holds it out and I take it from him, holding onto it gently. "I hope you like it."

"Thank you," I reply, looking at the tiny sparkly silver bag. I wonder what he got me. He doesn't seem to trust me much lately so I can't believe he got me something. "You didn't have to do this, Kiriya. You know my past and all so I don't see why you did. I've been trying to fool everyone around me."

"Don't worry about it," he tells me. "This isn't the day to mention that kind of stuff, okay?"

"Okay." I nod.

"Open it up."

I nod and place the bag on my lap. I open it up and reach in, touching something. It feels like a box. I pull it out and look at it.

"What is it?"

"It isn't anything bad."

I move the bag to the ground and place the box down on my legs. I touch the lid gently and pull it off the bottom half of the box, staring at the contents of the box. It is a beautiful necklace in the shape of a tear. Is that a flower in the middle?

"I saw it at a shop and figured it'll be a good fit for you." I look up at him as he smiles warmly at me.

"Kiriya..."

"If you don't like it, you can just get rid of it. I know you might not keep it after you're done doing what you came here to do," he replies. "So, can I ask you something?"

"Yes, you can ask me something but you have to open up my gift I gave you first."

"Did you put a box in the bag?"

I nod. "Yes."

"Did you wrap it?"

"Again, yes."

He nods and places the bag in front of him, on the table, and reaches into it. He pulls out a colorful box and looks at me as he rips off the colorful paper from it. He opens the box and his lips curve a bit downwards into a shocked look.

"What is this?"

"It is a little thing I made myself. It is a keychain with us on it. Of course, I put your stupid smile on it," I tell him. "Do you hate it?"

"No, I actually like this. Thank you."

"No problem." I smile. "I am glad you like it."

"Is this the real Kara I'm talking to?"

"This is the real me," I reply. "Now you can ask your question, Kiriya."

"Did you already know Japanese when you met Hiiro Kagami?"

I look down, nodding my head. "Yes, I actually did. I was taught it for what I was sent to do. I had to know it so I could communicate with everyone here."

"I figured that you did." He puts the keychain into his pants pocket. "I'm going to keep this here so I don't lose it. If I do lose it, you can just make another one right?"

I laugh. "Of course."

"After we're done here, we're going to do what I need to do. However, we're going separately. I'm not going to take you to the place I wanted to take you."

"What? You changed your mind?"

"I did. I think it isn't appropriate to take you there with me. It is a dangerous thing and I might not be around after it," he answers. "Kara, I'm not going to risk your life for the sake of finding out what I want to find out. It is different than knowing about you."