19

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐌
I am not a girl, I'm a storm with skin

SKYE jumped up from her seat beside Lincoln's bed; he was startled awake, the lights flashing on and off

"Good mornin' sleeping beauty." She grinned down at him, her right hand finding his. "Added bonus... you're not naked with needles poking out of your skin."

Lincoln looked away, a smile on his face, and a chuckle escaping him. Suddenly, he jumped up. "Skye, why are we...? No."

"Oh." She sighed as she realized why he was starting to panic. "Uh..." She glanced out the glass wall seperating them from everyone else, and saw Simmons looking at them. Uh, it's okay. You can trust them. They're my friends. They helped save you." She turned back to Lincoln as he pulled his hand away from her's.

"You never should have come for me."

"I had to," Skye told him, frowning as he took out his IV's. "You're my friend."

He shook his head at her. "The only thing that's kept us safe all these years is that we were a secret. Now S.H.I.E.L.D knows we exist. And they won't stop till they find Afterlife."

"I have no idea," Skye admitted to Coulson and May as she pushed herself away from the wall and towards them. "Seriously, I have never heard of anything like that before, and neither has Lincoln."

"And you believe him?"

"Why wouldn't I?" She questioned, crossing her arms in a defensive matter.

"You barely know him."

"I barely know you guys, as well," she retorted. She sighed and added, "I know enough. He and Jiaying helped me. They never tried to hurt me. Th — They taught me to channel my power so I wasn't hurting myself or others." She sighed, a small smile coming to her face, "I am in control now." She looked them in the eyes, "These are good people, Coulson."

"Are they? People, I mean." He sighed. "Look, I know you feel connected to this group, but you won't tell us much about them, you're keeping to yourself—"

"I've been taking care of Lincoln," she reminded him, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Okay, but from our perspective, we don't even know what to call them," Coulson fired at her.

"Inhumans," she blurted out. "Our ancient ancestors called themselves Inhumans, and we just want to be left alone."

"We?" May walked up to her, a concerned look in her eyes. "If they want to be left alone, then why infiltrate a military vessel?"