44

𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐃
You put a river inside me and i've been cold since you left

DAISY gasped awake from her nightmare and everything that she did came crashing back down onto her, suffocating her

DAISY gasped awake from her nightmare and everything that she did came crashing back down onto her, suffocating her. She sat up, swung her feet over the edge of the bed, and rubbed at her face, trying her hardest to not break down and cry.

She made her way over to the couch and sat down, relishing in every bad thing sh had done with Hive. When Lash took away whatever Hive did to her, everything seemed harder than it did before.

Here she stood on the brink of something she couldn't describe. The weight of everything seemed to press down on her shoulders and she struggled to take even a single step forward. It was too much. All of it. And somehow, she kept moving. But every step cost her. The darkness grew darker; the pain grew sharper; all of it seemed to only grow in strength and she began to wonder if things could ever get better.

She sniffed, coming out of her thoughts as she heard someone walk into the containment module that was in her room. "I've told you everything I know."

Then came the voice of Jemma, "I'm here to provide progress updates based on the intel you gave us... nothing more."

"And they only send you," Daisy stated, not looking at her. "Why?"

"If anything I tell you jogs any memories, any pertinent information at all, I'll ask you to divulge."

Daisy turned to her. "It's because you're the only one I didn't hurt... personally, I mean." She looked down and whispered, "That's why."

"Have you thought of any new pertinent information?" Jemma didn't comment on anything Daisy said, just getting straight to the point.

Daisy sighed and leaned back, still feeling a little weak from the blood loss. "As I said, Hive's followers tell him everything, but he rarely returns the favor." She sighed again, glancing at her. "I'm sorry that's not enough to act on."

"Well, we are acting on a new lead." Daisy turned to her, intrigued. "We've located a U.S. missile silo in the Pacific. Seems like a good fit."

Daisy frowned. "If that's where they plan to do it, they'll be there ahead of you."

"Yes. The silo's staff went silent five hours ago," Jemma told her.

Daisy shook her head at her words. "Even if you infiltrate, you can't shut down the launch... not without government Kill Codes."

"We are aware."

Daisy continued, "Hand-delivered by a D.O.D. official. It's not hackable. You won't be—"

Jemma interrupted, her voice giving away that she was irritated and angry, "We are aware." Daisy sighed, nodded, and leaned back, looking away from her with saddened eyes. "The only thing you gave us that didn't pan out was that word. You said he mentioned "absolution." Any idea what he meant?"