62

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓
I fall apart many times so what does that say about me besides I live through wars

THE pack gathered around the television in Derek's loft, all sitting around in various places as they switched on the television

THE pack gathered around the television in Derek's loft, all sitting around in various places as they switched on the television. When it showed Daisy walking into a court room, they all sat up straighter and tensed, wondering on how this was gonna play out.

DAISY looked to her left as Mace placed a hand on her shoulder before taking a seat. "How're you holding up?" She sighed and took a seat beside him. "It's okay to be nervous, you know."

"Me?" Daisy pointed to herself. "Nah. I don't get nervous anymore."

"Okay." Mace nodded. "Well, I'm just saying, if you are..."

"I mean, it's not my comfort zone, but I'm good," she told him, knowing she was going to put Inhuman haters in their places. They have no clue on how hard it is to be one of them. "I'll just tell the truth. I'm good at that." She looked to him and raised an eyebrow. "You?"

He stared at her for a few seconds, not answering, but then he asked her something that made her tense up. "You don't talk much about your childhood, do you?" She bit her lip and looked away. "The foster homes, bouncing around. I imagine a lot of the time, it felt like you had to perform to convince people to like you."

Daisy tilted her head. "Only the places I wanted to stay." She looked to him, eyes narrowed. "Why are you asking?"

"Because if you enter every room thinking you got to do a song and dance, eventually everything becomes a performance. And believe me, I know how it feels putting on an act full-time," he explained, looking ahead of himself.

"Yeah." She nodded. "You do, don't you?"

He turned to her again with admiration in his eyes. "Anyway, I know it's not an act with you. Coulson's been saying since day one that you're the real deal, and I've learned to trust his read on people, so..."

She gulped and turned to Mace. "He believed in me before I believed in myself," she told him. "Other than my brother and boyfriend, no one else did. Of course, my mother did, too, but she was barely around seeing as she had to take double shifts to take care of all three of us," she told him more than she should've. "You too, you know." She brought herself back to the topic and he smiled. "It's why he wants you with us still. He — He keeps saying you were trying to do the right thing."

He shifted in his seat. "Oh, you've talked about it, huh?"

She nodded. "Sure. And listen, with me... sometimes it's... Sometimes I think it's an act," She looked him in the eyes.

"You got this," He told her and she smiled, looking away.

"Jeffrey, I'm surprised to see you," Ellen said, surprised, as she walked over to them, eyes narrowed.