chapter 37

When I picked up the phone, the first thing I realized was Andrea's voice, not Rebecca's. I didn't even realize I stood up causing the attention on me. "Andrea, what's wrong." The line was quiet before the news hit me. "It's Rebecca. Come to the room, now."

Before I could think, I quickly ran out the door and down the hall to our room. I pushed the card in and the door flew open. "Lucy! Help!" In front of me was Jenn and Andrea kicking on the bathroom door. "Rebecca! Open this door!"

I looked around me. What the hell is going on? "Lucy! Rebecca locked herself in the bathroom!" Of course my first instinct was to join in the kicking and yelling, but if we want her to do what we ask, we need to be calm.

"Hey, guys stop!" The kicking quickly stopped and they looked at me. "We need to be nice and calm down if we want her to listen to us." They moved away from the door and I sat in front of it. "Hey, Rebecca? I need you to open this door."

There was silence. "We are going to help you and you'll be happy. We would never judge you, we need to get you help. Open the door. We love you so much." Then we heard a click and I pushed open the door to see the worst sight possible.

Rebecca was lying in the bathtub surrounded and covered in blood. "Jenn, call 911." There were blades in her hand covered in blood and her thighs and arms dripped with the metallic- smelling substance.

As if Andrea could read my mind, she was behind me with a pair of sweatpants. I quickly pulled down my skirt before slipping them on. Then I stepped in the bathtub, picking Rebecca up and put her in my lap. Her eyes were closed but I knew she wasn't passed out yet.

I could feel the guilt and tears building up as I held her wrists with towels trying to stop the blood. "I'm so sorry Rebecca. I love you so much. It's okay though. Not everybody is okay. You're going to get help and you're going to be happy."

That's when she shook her head. How did I not see this? How could I let her do this? I'm the worst friend. "We care about you Rebecca. We love you." I could tell she was slowly losing herself and as much as I wanted to scream and cry, I didn't.

She squeezed her eyes tight and I started talking about our memories. "And remember when we went night swimming? And when we built a fort and watched movies in it?" That's when the paramedics burst through the bathroom and tried to pry Rebecca off of me.

Surprisingly, whenever they tried to separate us, she would scream. That's when I let the tears go. I was so caught up in choking on my tears that the men had lifted us both and put us on the stretcher. They wheeled us down the hall and into the elevator. I didn't even notice the people coming outside of their rooms to see Rebecca and I crying together while Jenn and Andrea followed behind us.

Rebecca looked up at me while we were being pushed to the ambulance, "I'm so sorry Lucy", her voice came out as a whisper. "No, no. It's not your fault. Just relax." We were finally on the way to the hospital and I had to sit beside Rebecca now.

She finally let them separate us but I continued to cry and stroke her head as they did whatever they needed to do. We finally arrived and the back doors of the car opened. The nurses let me come with her and we were quickly rushed into the emergency room.

We were placed in a room before Andrea and Jenn came rushing in. We all sat in the seats by the bed as the doctors did their job. About five minutes later, Rebecca fell asleep. The doctors continued to do what they needed to do, sometimes asking us questions about Rebecca.

Once the doctors left, Jenn, Andrea and I all hugged each other and cried. "This is all my fault. I didn't pay enough attention." We finally controlled our tears and sat there in shock of how quick the events unfolded.