Vol 2 Chap 60

XH 60

Today was Princess Long Lian's fifteenth birthday. It was supposed to be a happy day, yet the birthday girl was currently sulking in Xiao Hua's room. Xiao Hua had woken up early thanks to the reliable Duan XiYing's wake up alarm and had done her daily routine of running two laps around the residence - that was the best she could do, for now - when Long Lian appeared without notice.

"Ah Lian, you need to go and get ready for the banquet," Xiao Hua urged helplessly.

"This princess is angry and have no mood to attend a banquet!"

"You are the main character in today's banquet, how can it start without you? The Empress will also be angry with you if you are not there."

"Then she should allow you to celebrate my birthday with me!"

"You know it would not be good to have a maid celebrate birthdays with a princess."

"If you are not there, I won't be happy!" Long Lian sulked and finally revealed a little of her true feelings. "I hate those two-faced vile females. They would either gossip bad things about me or get close to me for benefits."

"Just socialize with them for a while before making excuses to leave early," Xiao Hua suggested. It might not be a good idea, but it might appease the angry princess.

Xiao Hua steadily ignored Tang Mei, Long Lian's new personal maid, who was doing her best to send eye signals to get her to urge the princess to return. The problem with servants in ancient times was that they were too afraid of shooting reasonable and common-sense advice to their momentarily offline masters, fear of getting scolded or punished for speaking things their masters do not want to hear.

Long Lian was not that kind of mistress, but the careful Tang Mei was still new and had yet to be close enough to the princess to act as her confidant.

"I want you there!" Long Lian said stubbornly and successfully stirring the annoyance that usually slumbered inside Xiao Hua.

"Unless I am a first or second rank minister's daughter or someone with an honorary title, Xiao Hua could not attend Princess Long Lian's birthday celebration. Please, Princess, do not make things difficult for this servant."

If Long Lian continues being stubborn and enraged the Emperor and Empress, Xiao Hua might be sent off somewhere far away, making sure that they will no longer be able to meet with each other. If it was before Xiao Hua got used to living here, she might be happy to be sent off far away from the black star that was known as Long Zhu, the Third Prince of Guilin Country.

As a human that had not suffered and lived a life of comfort, Le XiaoTing admitted that her life as the Third Prince's personal maid was not that horrible. She was reluctant to part with this newfound comfort.

Long Lian's lips thinned and paired with rosy cheeks and teary eyes, these were the signs of her going to cry.

"No crying," Xiao Hua said sharply. "If you cry on your birthday, you might cry for the rest of the year." That was what Le XiaoTing's mother used to say to make her well behaved during birthdays or Chinese New Year celebrations during her childhood.

Long Lian was frustrated and wanted to vent, but what she might say would hurt Xiao Hua. She tried to have Xiao Hua celebrate her birthday at her birthday feast, but Mother Empress refused and threatens to kill Xiao Hua if she continues pressing the matter.

It was not that she did not trust her Third brother's capability in protecting Xiao Hua from harm, but Mother Empress was someone with high authority in this kingdom. It would be very easy for her to slip an assassin into the residence and kill Xiao Hua.