Vol 5 Chap 148

XH 148

Without introducing, the Empress could guess that the man with clean features dressed in a white robe with blue clouds embroidered on it was the Legendary Doctor Bai, who was also Long Zhu's esteemed teacher.

The Empress' first impression of meeting Doctor Bai was 'this is how my son could be when he gets older'. Although both the doctor and her son have a different appearance, it was the way they carried themselves that gave her a sense of familiarity. Their gentle gestures that gave off a sense of patience that speaks of wisdom and age was truly similar, but Long Zhu still has a long way to go to reach Doctor Bai's level.

On the other hand, the Emperor was busy glaring at his biological father and does not pay much attention to the stranger.

It would be rude for the Empress to greet the guests on behalf of the Emperor, but with the way her husband was currently acting, this rudeness could be overlooked.

"Greetings to the 19th Emperor and Honoured Doctor Bai. Welcome back to the Guilin Kingdom," the Empress greeted in a warm and friendly manner with a perfect curtsy that she perfected after years of experience.

Despite being a man in his sixties, the 19th Emperor hardly looked his age. His appearance would make one assume he was the current Guilin Emperor's elder brother.

The 19th Emperor laughed charmingly. "It is still Ling Yi that cares for this father and smart to figure out who is this good friend of mine, unlike my foolish son. Look at him, trying to get me to answer a simple guess for him with that desperate expression."

The Emperor's attention was stolen when he heard 'Doctor Bai', but when his father insulted him by calling him foolish, his initial intention to greet the doctor was pushed aside.

"Why did you return? Did you not say you wish to travel around the world and help those in need?" The Emperor asked and does not bother hiding his mockery filled with hostile.

The father and son's relationship had turned sour after the son caused his elder brother, the Crown Prince, to die. Their argument turned their sour relationship to bitter and since then, nothing could fix their relationship.

"Do you think I want to see your ugly face? It's only because of my good friend Bai wanting to meet my grandson that I agree to be his guide in Guilin."

"Thank you, Doctor Bai, for taking care of Long Zhu for all these years," The Empress said gratefully.

Doctor Bai's expression since the moment they met was a gentle smile with a hint of distance. But when the topic comes to Long Zhu, his smile was warmer, and his handsome appearance becomes even more attractive.

"Long Zhu is a good student."

Doctor Bai's favourite apprentice was Long Zhu. No one unimportant knew, but the three next guardians of the celestial beasts and the 19th Emperor of Guilin knew it.

He treated Long Zhu very much like his own son, very patient to Long Zhu's complaints, and even willing to teach him what he needs to know to survive in this world. But he also knows how his favourite apprentice's fate ends, and wished to change it. After all, he had known Long Zhu for many years and could see the young man was a good person with a good attitude.

But his system forbids him, saying that he must follow the script and that Long Zhu needs to go through the betrayal of his maid. Doctor Bai thinks it was a stupid thing to do but he can only teach Long Zhu how to counter the poison and instill some view to stop him from blindly trusting his saviour.

"Doctor Bai, perhaps the news had not reached you, but Long Zhu is currently in South Guilin Village, handling an important matter. It would be a while for Long Zhu to return home," the Empress informed.