Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Co-Parenting

"Mummy open the door!" The door to your house was being repeatedly knocked on

"I'm coming." You called back, opening it up. Y/D/N came running in, clinging to your leg as she did so. Behind her was your ex-boyfriend, her dad, Ruben.

"You've got ice-cream chops." You giggled, picking her up and hugging her.

"Daddy took me before we came home." She told you, licking her lips.

"Let's wipe your face a little bit more, come in." You ushered Ruben. You rested Y/D/N on the kitchen counter and wiped the remainder of ice-cream that was on her face.

"Your mum called me." You told Ruben and he looked at you confused.

"She wanted me there for her birthday this week, but I said I wouldn't come unless you weren't okay with it." You said.

"Of course, I'd love to have you there." He smiled timidly, you nodded and got Y/D/N down.

"Go and pick out some PJ's baby, then we can watch a film." You smiled and she scurried off.

"How have you been?" Ruben asked while you started to put away dishes.

"I haven't been bad, I got promoted at work the other day so I have more days off now." You smiled.

"I knew you could do it Y/N, well done." He applauded.

"Thank-you, it was worth all the hard work. Thank-you for taking her for an extra day, it helped me out." You put on the kettle.

"You're welcome." It was slightly awkward between the two of you. It had been three months since you had broken up and still took a lot of getting used too. Y/D/N was nearly five and she still didn't really understand the whole situation.

"Want a brew?" You asked him and he nodded.

"I do need to tell you something though." Ruben crossed his arms over his chest, ready to speak seriously.

"Is everything alright?" He shrugged his shoulders.

"Y/D/N got really upset today, she was asking why we didn't live in the same house anymore, why we didn't love each-other. She started crying and I didn't know what to do so I took her for ice-cream." He frowned.

"Ruben we swore when we had her, that if we ever did call it quits, we wouldn't let her feel like that." You sighed, hating the fact your baby girl was upset.

"She's bound to be upset, it's a shit situation." Ruben told you and you nodded.

"It wouldn't have been fair on her if she heard all the arguing." The kettle boiled and you poured two cups of tea.

"I didn't want her to grow up the way I did." He put his cup down and hugged you.

"Mummy and daddy still love each-other!" Y/D/N screeched when she saw the scene unfold. Ruben pulled away.

"Baby, calm down." You told her. She gave you her PJ's and you helped her into them.

"Is daddy coming home?" She asked and you looked up at Ruben, he was avoiding eye-contact with you.

"We can talk about that another day, shall we watch the Lion King?" You asked and she nodded excitedly.

"I best get going." Ruben announced, bending down to his daughters height and giving her a cuddle.

"No daddy, stay." She whined.

"Ask mummy, she'll say yes." She jumped up and down. He looked at you with pleading eyes and you nodded.

"We're a family again." Y/D/N grinned as Ruben sat on the sofa beside you two.

"Thank-you." Ruben mouthed to you with a smile.

"Maybe we can do this a lot more." You suggested and Y/D/N rested her head on your chest.

"That's a great idea." Ruben looked in awe at you two, maybe things would work out in the end.