Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Career

It was the 13th of February

It was the 13th of February. One day before Valentine's Day and exactly one week till your birthday. February was quite a packed month. Ruben however, was abroad training and was due back in just a couple of hours.

"I'm just gonna go FaceTime Ruben." You grinned at your brother, he rolled his eyes but you carried on.

"Hey babe, you at the airport yet?" You asked as soon as he picked up.

"Y/N I'm so sorry." He frowned.

"What's happened? Have you injured yourself?" You panicked. He chuckled lightly and shook his head.

"I'm fine physically I promise." He reassured you.

"Then what's wrong?" You asked.

"I'm not coming home tonight." Ruben avoided eye contact with you as your lips slowly formed a frown.

"Well are you coming home tomorrow?" You asked on hope. And he shook his head again.

"Ruben what?" You sighed in defeat.

"The manager is keeping us out here for at least another eight days." He told you.

"So you're gonna miss my birthday as well?" You asked and he nodded.

"I'm gutted." Ruben told you.

"I'm so sorry." He apologised again.

"Listen up and listen good." You began, adjusting your position on your bed so that your legs were crossed.

"This is the career you've wanted since you were a kid. Your mum didn't drive you here there and everywhere to go to games for you to sit here sulking to your girlfriend. It's nothing I'm not already used to, you can't pick and chose when you'll be home. So carry on training and be the best footballer that I know you are." You smiled. His face lit up.

"Nobody's ever said shit like that to me before." He grinned.

"And now your favourite girlfriend in the entire world has. I mean it Ruben, I'm gutted as well but football is a priority." You told him.

"So are you." He was quick to say.

"Ruben, football is the main priority. I don't need you to tell me otherwise because this is your career, and your future. I'm not jeopardising that by saying come home now, I'm patient, I can wait." You chuckled.

"I'm one hell of a lucky guy. Thank-you for all of that. I needed it. I didn't know how you'd react." Ruben cringed.

"I'm always gonna respect what happens in your life and if that means you can't be here for them two occasions, so be it." Ruben was over the moon with your response, it meant a lot to him.

"I love you, you know that?" He said.

"Of course I do, I love you too. Now you look like you're on your way somewhere so I'll let you go." You told him.

"Alright babe, see you soon." And with that the call ended. You let out a sigh, but not in frustration. It was more a sigh of how much you missed him.

"You alright sis?" Your brother asked from the door-frame, having heard the entire conversation.

"I just want him to keep doing what he's doing. I shouldn't be a distraction so I'm not mad." You admitted.

"As soppy as that conversation was, I have a lot of respect for the way you acted." He hugged you.

"I love him a lot." You shrugged your shoulders and went back in the living room.

"I bet you miss him though Y/N." Your brother said.

"All the time. Normally I'm used to just waking up and seeing him but it's always the same feeling when he's not here. I get sad and then I'm happy because I know he's doing what he loves." You carried on.

"I wouldn't be able to cope I don't think." He told you.

"That's because you're a little pussy." You poked your tongue out as he threw his head back laughing.

"He'll be back soon Y/N, and then I won't be your only company." And with that, you couldn't wait to see your boyfriend again.