Stranger Waking

Skrtch skrtch

   "Mrphmm, five more minutes." You say lazily, half woken to the sound of scratching.

   Skrtch skrtch skrtch

   The scratching continued. You try to roll over but you couldn't. Something hard is blocking you. You blearily blink open your eyes with a groan. "What's that noise?" Confusion quickly ensues as it's still completely dark when you open your eyes. You try to move but find yourself in a tight space. What's going on here? You put your hands against the wall, panic quickly flooding your mind.

   Oh my god, oh my god! I think I'm in a coffin!

   "I better hurry up and find that uniform before someone spots me." You hear the voice outside your coffin.

   Why am I here? What do they want with me?

   "Urggh... This lid weighs a ton" You hear the voice again. "Try this on for size! Mya-ha!"

   Your coffin shakes from a sudden force. You hold the walls casing you in trying to steady yourself. The lid flew off the coffin and you're blinded by the sudden light. Blue flames lick at the floor.

   "Was that fire?" You cry, shielding your eyes.

   "Now to grab the goods... What? You ain't supposed to be awake!"

   You open your eyes, expecting someone terrifying waiting for you. Expect, no one's there. You glance down to find...

   "A talking... weasel?"

   The thing in question looks like fluffy grey cat, looking thing, with a white chest. He has a pitchfork tail but the biggest thing you notice is the blue flames coming out of their ears.

   "How DARE YOU! I am no WEASEL! I'm Grim, sorcerer extraordinaire!" The cat/weasel thing shouts. He scoffs. "Whatever. You... human! Just gimme your uniform, and be quick about!"

   "What?" Still stunned, all you can do was stammer. "Uniform?"

   You glance down at your clothing. It wasn't your usual style at all. It's a long black and purple robe with beautiful golden highlights. You also notice a large hood is draped over your head. Looking past the creature, you saw many coffins floating around the room. At the center is a large black mirror that was also floating in the air.

   "Cause if you don't... you're gonna regret it!" The little cat warned, snapping you back the the little feisty creature.

   Even though it was small, no bigger than a cat, you've never seen anything like this. So you did the only thing you could do.

   "Somebody help!"

   "Hey, come on! I'm on a tight schedule here!" The cat looking creature put his paws on his hips, looking very unamused.

   Before you can second guess yourself, you leap over the creature and bolted. Not knowing where to go but anywhere is better than here. You run through the door and you tear down a long hall.

   "Hey, come back here!" The creature calls after you.

   You run into the first open door you see and scan somewhere to hid. This room appears to be a massive library. Probably the largest one you ever seen. You quickly dart behind a bookshelf.

   Where am I? You think to yourself. "If this is a dream, I'm ready to wake up now."

   "Foolish human!"

   You scream and jump at the sound of the voice. The cat thing found you and does not look happy.

   "Did you really think you could slip away from ME? Now, unless you wanna get burned to a crisp, take off that-Me-YEOW! That hurt! What gives?"

   You take a step back, a fancy looking leash appeared out of nowhere and restrained the cat. The one holding the leash is the strangest person you have ever met. He's pale and dressed in a purple-blue suit with a large coat. The coat has large,  black feathers appearing out of the collar. His gloved hands had golden claws and he sported a black top hat with a mirror on the side. What surprises you the most was behind the crow-like mask he was wearing, where two bright yellow eyes. They almost seemed like they were glowing.

   "Consider it tough love." He says to the cat. The man looks to you. "Ah, I've found you at last. Splendid. I trust you're one of this year's new students?"

   "Uuhh,"

   "My, were you ever eager to make your debut. And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you? That is a clear violation of the school's rules." The masked man shakes his head in disappointment. You could only stare with your mouth slightly agape, not knowing what to say.

   "As if I'd serve some lowly human! Now lemme go!" The flamed eared cat squirms against his restraints.

   The man rolls his eyes and shakes his head again. "Yes, yes. Rebellious familiars always say that. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?"

   The cat folds his arms and let out a huff. "Mmmrph!"

   The masked man turns his attention back to you. "Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gate and step out of it. Does the very notion of patience elude you?"

   But I wasn't the one who blasted the door off. Heck, I didn't even want to be here in the first place! You quietly fumed.

   "No matter. Your orientation has already begun. Let us return to the Mirror Chamber." He starts walking, trailing the cat behind him.

   "Wait, student? Gate? What are you talking about?" You jog to catch up to the tall man.

   "You awakened in a room full of gates, did you not?" He gave you a curious look. You only look even more confused so he continues on. "All of the students here at the campus arrived by passing through such gates. Although typically the students have restraint enough to wait until I open them before waking up."

   "So those coffins were like... gateways?" You ask.

   "The design is intended to symbolize a parting with your former world, and a rebirth into a new one."

   Sounds a bit dramatic but okay.

   "But now is not the time for such prattle. You've a student orientation to attend! Go on, now. Make haste." He motions with his hand for you to move.

   "But wait," You grab his sleeve, causing him to stop. "First, can you tell me where I am and who are you?"

   He quirks an eyebrow at this. "Hm? Have you not fully regained consciousness? The timespace teleportation must have addled your memories... Well, these things happen, I suppose." He starts to walk again. "I shall explain it to you while we walk. Truly, my magnanimity is boundless." He smiles at himself as you look on in confusion.

   He leads you to what appears to be a court yard. He waves his hand towards the grand building around you. "This is Night Raven College. It is an institution for students the world over who demonstrate a rare aptitude for magic. It is the most prestigious academy of its sort in all of Twisted Wonderland." He brings his hand to his chest and closes his eyes, looking very proud. "And I am Dire Crowley. Having been entrusted with its care by the chairman, I serve as headmage"

   You tilt your head. "Magic?"

   "Only those who the Dark Mirror perceives as having a talent for magic are admitted to the college. Those who are selected are summoned to the campus through those 'gates,' which can appear anywhere." Crowley tilts his head at you. "A black carriage bearing one such gate should have come to meet you."

   "A carriage?"

   Crowley continues on, walking as he talked. "That black carriage serves to receive a student chosen by the Dark Mirror. It too bears a gate that connects to this campus. And as you know, sending a carriage to meet someone on a special day is a time-honored tradition."

   You shake your head. "No, I really did not know that." You mutter under your breath.

   Crowley smiles, not hearing what you said. "Now, let us attend to your orientation."