21.

"Would you like to go out with me tonight?" Brett suddenly asked one morning while setting the table for breakfast. Eddy almost dropped the spatula at the question, as they hadn't really done anything vaguely romantic in public before. The thought of it excited him though.
"You mean like, as a date?" he asked eventually, after collecting himself. He tried to seem calm, but his heart was racing. How many times hadn't he imagined going on a romantic date with Brett?
"I mean, yes? If you want it to be a date? Doesn't have to be if you don't want that." Brett was blushing furiously now, and hid himself behind a cupboard door, "fetching glasses", so Eddy wouldn't see.
"Uh, I mean, I don't mind it being a date?" Eddy said while flipping the eggs over. "If you want that, I mean?"
Brett put the glasses in the table and smiled that gorgeous smile that made Eddy's heart beat out of his chest every time.
"It's a date then."

Eddy spent forever in the bathroom trying to decide whether he should have his bangs to one side or the other even though he had been walking around with his hair in a mess in front of Brett all day. He was nervous about the whole thing, but in a good way. Brett hadn't told him where they were going or anything, saying it would be a surprise.

Brett had been ready about half an hour already, and was sitting in the living room on the couch. He didn't mind waiting for Eddy to get ready. Actually, he thought it was adorable that he was putting thought into how he look just for him, even though the wait upped his nerves another notch every minute. Brett had spent some time choosing his regular dark shirt and making his hair slightly less messy, but not half an hour like Eddy did.
In a way, the whole situation felt a bit funny. They had been out for dinner together probably a million times before, as friends of course, but it still felt much more intense now.
Brett was not disappointed when Eddy entered the living room wearing black jeans and a dark red shirt with the sleeves rolled up to just below his elbow. He caught himself very obviously checking him out before looking away, blushing. He had seen him in similar outfits, probably even this exact outfit, a million times before.
"Is it uh... Okay? Can I wear this?" Eddy asked, spinning once in an attempt to make a bit of a joke, but it only made Brett's cheeks warmer.
"Of course, you're gorgeous", Brett said, not really able to prevent himself from smiling like an idiot just from the sight of the handsome man in front of him. Now it was Eddy's turn to blush.
"Well aren't you sweet", he said with a nervous giggle, running a hand nervously through his hair even though he had just spent half an hour to fix it. Brett stood up and walked over to him.
"You ready to go?" he asked and tiptoed to reach up to kiss his cheek. Eddy couldn't help but smile.
"Let's go", he said, taking Brett's hand and dragging him to the hallway.