39.

"We should go out again sometime soon", Brett mentioned casually that evening while laying on the couch like they always did. Eddy was resting his head in Brett's lap, looking at his phone, and Brett ran gis fingers through Eddy's soft hair with one hand while scrolling on his phone with the other.
"As a date, you mean?" Eddy asked sleepily, still with his eyes glued to his phone.
"Yeah?" Brett replied, locking his phone. "If you want?"
"Not right now, though", Eddy yawned, locking his phone as well and looking up at Brett. "Too tired man, I'm getting old I swear."
Brett huffed at that comment.
"If you're old, then I'm ancient", he stated, running his hand through Eddy's hair again. Eddy loved the way Brett's careful fingers combed his hair, and smiled up at him.
"But I'd love to go on another date, but it doesn't have to be super fancy", Eddy said, thinking back to the super fancy restaurant Brett had taken him to the last time.
"I only take you to places like that because I think you deserve the best I can give you", Brett mumbled, a hint of a blush playing on his cheeks. Eddy lifted his hand up to touch his face.
"Aren't you sweet", he said with a grin forming. "What are you thinking we could do, then? Not the cinema I hope, we can't even watch movies in our own home."
Brett laughed at the last comment.
"Hah, nah, I was thinking maybe a concert or something. We haven't been in a while."
Eddy thought about it for a second before nodding.
"That would be nice, actually", he agreed. "Unless it's a viola concert, because I'll dump your ass right there if it turns out to be", Eddy threatened jokingly. Brett snorted.
"Can't dump me, we aren't officially boyfriends yet."

The silence that followed that statement was intense as Brett tried think of a clever way to row himself out of that situation.
"You're right about that", Eddy finally said, feeling a bit tenser than earlier. "We have a... Uh... Thing? Though?" It sounded like a question, partly because he wanted Brett to confirm what he believed to be true even though he had heard him call it just that earlier, and partly because he wasn't sure if that was where Brett was going with the original sentence.
"Definitely a thing", Brett confirmed, relieved that Eddy had found an escape for him. It wasn't that Brett didn't want to be Eddy's boyfriend, it was more that he was scared it would be too soon for Eddy.
"So, just a thing for now, or...?" Eddy asked, uncertain but hopeful.
"Well, I mean... Do you want to be more than that?", Brett asked, licking his lip nervously, feeling the butterflies tickle his stomach.
"Do you?" Eddy asked back, locking his eyes on Brett's for what felt like an eternity of silence.
"I wouldn't mind being your... You know, boyfriend, I guess?" Brett said, treading carefully. He didn't want to rush things between them and mess it up that way.
"Will you be my boyfriend then, Brett?" Eddy asked, a wide smile forming on his lips brett couldn't help but smike back.
"I'd love that", he answered, and Eddy sat up a bit to kiss his lips.
After another few minutes of the two of them grinning, kissing or giggling, Brett was the first to say something.
"So, boyfriend, what concert do you wanna go to for our date?"