~ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝔀𝓮𝓷𝓽𝔂-𝓢𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 ~

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Choosing Extra Classes Does Not Warrant Butting In

From the time the students came back from Christmas to the time they broke up for summer seemed even more busy than the year before

From the time the students came back from Christmas to the time they broke up for summer seemed even more busy than the year before. Quidditch season was coming to an end, Lina had her thirteenth birthday, most stressfully exams, she still had to pick her new subjects for the following year and then to add it all off the end of year feast and the house cup.

Focusing on what was most important Lina decided she needed to focus on her new subjects. Being the youngest out of all her friends she couldn't go more than five minutes without getting some advice on the matter.

"Whatever you do do not pick Divination, it's a load of bullshit" Lucy informed her, if she hadn't of heard so many bad reviews about the subject she may have picked it. Most of her free time was now spent either by herself or with the twins, they seemed completely unbothered by what classes to pick but she couldn't avoid it forever.

Lina sat alone in the almost empty great hall, the options that she could pick were written on a bit of parchment in front of her. "Do you want my advice?" Charlie's voice wafted from behind her.

"No" Lina mumbled.

She heard Charlie snort a laugh and sit down next to her "don't pick Arithmancy not unless you want to be dealing with numbers and predicting the future all lesson long, Bill did it and said it could be really hard at times."

"Thanks" Lina crossed Arithmancy off the list.

"Oh and don't pick Ancient Ruins. Nightmare!" Tonks said joining the conversation, Lina groaned and crossed it off the list as well.

"What are you all talking about?" Lina looked up to see her friends joining them, Lucy peered down at the list "Oh you're doing your options for next year."

"Yes," Lina replied.

"Well don't-"

"Stop!" Lina cried "no, no, no, this is my choice so please" she grabbed the piece of parchment and stormed out of the great hall, all the way to the hospital wing. The door was open so Lina hesitantly entered, Madam Pomfrey was not by any of the beds which hopefully meant she would be in her office, as Lina approached she saw the matron hunched over her desk writing away through the window. Lina knocked on the door and within seconds the stern face of Madam Pomfrey was in front of her.

"Yes, are you ill?" Her eyes scanned Lina's body "you don't look ill."

"I'm not. I have to pick my new classes for next year and well I was wondering what classes I would need to take to become a healer."

Madam Pomfrey gestured for Lina to come in "come in and sit down" Lina sat in the seat opposite Madam Pomfrey's own, with a wave of her wand Madam Pomfrey conjured a steaming pot of tea and two cups "so you're interested in becoming a healer?" The pot poured tea into the two cups by itself.

"Yes, my older cousin and I were talking about life after Hogwarts, I told her I wanted to help people and she suggested becoming a healer. I've read into it and I really like the sound of it."

"But to chose your new subjects based on becoming a healer is more serious than 'I like the sound of it'" Madam Pomfrey took a sip of her drink.

"Well, it might be more than I like the sound of it" Lina sheepishly shrugged.

"Well if you're serious about this Miss Black then I'll tell you what you need to know" she waved her wand at the quill next to her "you don't need to take up any new subjects" as she spoke the quill wrote on the free bit of parchment. "The most important thing is that you get either outstanding or exceeds expectations in your N.E.W.Ts at potions, transfiguration, herbology, charms and defence against the dark arts" Lina nodded at the information "and then there is the department of which you want to work in but you won't have to worry about that for some years."

"So I can pick whatever extra subjects I want?"

"In a sense, yes, but bear in mind how the subjects would help you as a healer. For example, care of magical creatures would greatly benefit your knowledge in dealing with injuries related to creatures."

"I understand."

"Do you have any other questions?"

"Not that I can think of."

Madam Pomfrey waved her wand and the quill stopped "if you have any other questions my office door will always be open to you" she said giving Lina a kind smile. Lina stood up and took the parchment Madam Pomfrey was offering her, she also took the parchment with her options written on it, she thanked Madam Pomfrey and left.

Lina with the information Madam Pomfrey has given her still on her mind decided to go back to the common room to finally pick at least two new subjects. The common room was particularly crowded it was horrible weather outside so most people had taken to hiding in their common rooms, she scanned the room and saw Cedric sitting by himself in the far corner. "Mind if I join?" Lina asked as she approached.

"No" Cedric smiled.

Lina sat down in the seat opposite him, a small table was in between the pair "where are the other two?"

"Pretty sure there still in the great hall. So where did you go when you made your oh so dramatic exit?"

Lina rolled her eyes "to see Madam Pomfrey, she had some actual useful advice."

"What did she have to say?"

Lina slid the parchment Madam Pomfrey gave her over to Cedric to read "basically I need all my core subjects to become a healer but when picking my new subjects I should make sure they have relevance to healing."

"So what have you got in mind?"

"I always loved the sound of care of magical creatures so most likely that."

"Don't tell Danny" Cedric stated.

"Oh Merlin" she groaned "I just won't tell him and wait until he finds out on his own."

"Because that's not going to backfire" Cedric laughed, Lina waved it off and sunk more into her chair. "So what else are you going to choose?"

"Maybe Arithmancy, I know enough people who have done it to ask for help if I get stuck or muggle studies."

"Both sound good."

Lina narrowed her eyes at her friend "you're the only who hasn't butted in and told me their thoughts, why?"

"Because it's stressful enough picking the right subjects without a million different people telling you their owns thoughts. And you didn't ask."

"Alright, then I'll ask, what'd you think I should do?"

"Both are good subjects, both enjoyable enough muggle studies would be good to learn about the world outside our own, and Lucy could help with the homework, and Arithmancy would be great if you could predict the future, you could tell us if Hufflepuff will ever win the house cup." Lina huffed more confused than ever, she blew a stray piece of hair out of her face "but then you could always do both, three extra subjects won't be a massive burden, then again it is you."

Lina stuck her tongue out at him "so it's settled then. Care of magical creatures, Arithmancy and muggle studies."