1

SAWYER

Laura's  hand  jolts  me  awake  from  a  deep  sleep.  I  turn  over  to  her,  sitting  my  head  up  from  the  car  window.

"We're  twenty  minutes  away,  this  is  not  the  time  for  a  nap."  she  says.  I  sigh,  annoyed. 

"I  couldn't  sleep  last  night,  I  was  too  physced.  At  least  let  me  get  a  few  minutes  of  sleep  in.  Trust  me,  I'm  good  at  it."  I  say,  irritated.  We  drive  along  the  highway,  getting  more  anxious  every  minute.

"You  look  nervous..."  says  Laura.  I  try  to  ignore  the  knots  in  my  stomach,  but  she's  right... 

"It's  just...  I'm  nervous  that  Eli's  gonna  be  overwhelmed.  I  mean,  he's  never  celebrated  a  birthday  in  his  life.  And  I'm  just  worried  the  first  time  he  celebrates  his  birthday,  it's  gonna  be  ruined."  I  say. 

"Hey,"  says  Laura.  Whenever  she  says  that,  that's  my  cue  to  look  at  her.  "He'll  appreciate  this  whole  heartedly.  I  mean  you  are  practically  his  favorite  person  in  the  world.  You're  a  great  girlfriend  for  doing  this  for  him."

I  shrug. 

"I  just  wanna  be  there  for  him..."  I  sulk. 

"Well  not  everything  will  go  the  way  you  want  it.  But  it'll  be  fine.  Everyone's  gonna  have  fun."  says  Laura.  A  thought  comes  to  my  mind,  making  me  smirk.

"We  all  know  who  you're  gonna  have  fun  with."  I  giggle.  She  looks  at  me  confused.         

"What...  are  you  talking  about...?"  she  says. 

"Lim..."  I  say  in  a  cute  baby-talk  voice.  "Or  from  your  say,  Aaron." 

"What?  Come  on!"  she  exclaims  embarrassed.  "We're  just  friends,  Sawyer."

"Oh  please,  I've  seen  you  two  flirt  I  don't  even  know  how  many  times.  You're  texting  him  every  time  I  see  you,  and  you're  looking  at  your  phone  like  you're  in  love!"  I  exclaim.  Laura  scoffs,  her  face  flushing  red.  "He  likes  you.  We  all  know  he  does."

"Sawyer!"   she  snaps. 

"You're in your early  thirties, he's almost forty, you  gotta  start  dating  at  some  point."  I  say. 

"Okay,  shush.  Shush.  This  isn't  about  me  and  Aaron,  this  is  about  Eli.  In  fact  this  entire  get  together  is  about  Eli  turning  twenty,  so  focus  on  the  topic."  says  Laura,  eager  to  talk  about  something  else.  I  sigh. 

Eli  and  I  are  such  a  private  couple,  we  never  update  anyone  about  our  relationship,  and  we  almost  don't  even  like  talking  about  it  in  public. 

"Well,  I'm  not  only  nervous  about  how  it's  gonna  go,  I'm  nervous  to  go  back  to  Aradouge.  I've  always  been  nervous  every  time  we've  visited  Aradouge,"  I  say.  I  look  at  her,  anxious.  "Don't  tell  anyone  this...  but  I  hate  it  there!"

"Honey,  I  know,"  says  Laura.  "It's  a  place  that's  hard  for  you  to  be,  and  that  is  totally  understandable.  And  I'm  sorry  they  couldn't  come  to  Salinas  because  of  the  snow,  but  you're  such  a  good  sport  for  coming  anyway."