31

ELI

I  slowly  open  my  eyes,  my  sight  reminding  me  of  where  I  am...  but  more  of  who  I  found  here.

I  turn  my  head  to  look  around,  and  see  her.  My  own  mother,  resting  her  head  on  the  side  of  the  bed,  sleeping.  As  I  adjust  my  sitting,  my  head  gives  out  a  sudden  pressure  of  pain,  making  me  wince. 

My  mom  then  wakes  up,  lifting  her  head  and  beaming  at  me.  From  all  the  light  coming  in  the  windows,  I  can  see  her  face  in  the  light.  I  give  a  small  smile  back. 

"Now  I  see  it."  I  say,  telling  her  I  see  the  resemblance  between  her  face  and  mine. 

"How  are  you  feeling?"  she  says,  still  beaming  with  a  smile. 

"Like  I  got  hit  in  the  head  last  night,"  I  croak.  "But  all  right."

My  mom  looks  at  me,  like  she  was  hoping  I'd  say  something  else.  I  look  to  my  left,  hoping  I'd  see  Jamie,  but  he's  not  in  the  bed.

"Where's  Jamie?"  I  ask,  alarmed. 

"Oh,  he's  up  and  moving.  He's  a  tough  guy."  she  says.

"Is  his  arm  okay?"  I  ask. 

"Yeah.  He's  lucky.  He'll  need  a  sling  on  his  arm  for  now,  but  he's  gonna  make  a  good  recovery."  she  says.  I  sigh  in  relief.  I  really  thought  Jamie  wasn't  gonna  make  it. 

"How  long  have  I  been  asleep?"  I  ask.  My  mom  looks  at  her  watch. 

"About  eight  hours."  she  responds.  Oh  gosh,  I  need  to  get  up.

"Oh."  I  say,  my  eyes  briefly  widening.  I  start  getting  out  of  the  bed,  my  mom  instantly  getting  up. 

"Um,  okay.  Eli  slow  down.  You've  got  injuries."  she  says,  holding  my  arm.  I  want  to  pull  away  from  her,  but  she  clings  onto  me. 

"I  can  get  up  myself."  I  say. 

"Eli,  you're  sore."  says  my  mom. 

"I'm  fine.  Emily,  I'm  fine."  I  say,  with  a  low,  agitated  tone.

"Are  you  sure?"  she  asks.  I  shove  my  arm  off  of  her  grip,  and  hold  my  hands  up. 

"Did  you  hear  me?  I  said  I'm  fine,"  I  snap.  She  stares  at  me,  surprised by  my  tone.  "I  don't  need  you  to  help  me."

I  get  up,  and  walk  past  her  towards  the  door. 

She  must've  forgotten  the  exact  reason  why  we  were  apart  for  fifteen  years.  I'm  ecstatic  to  see  her...  but  at  the  same  time,  it's  hard  to  look  at  her.  I'm  looking  at  my  mother,  but  I'm  also  looking  at  the  person  who  abandoned  me.  I'm  not  ready  to  be  happy  around  her. 

"Eli..."  says  Emily,  walking  after  me.  "I  understand  why  you'd  be  mad,  and  you  have  every  right  to  be.  But  I  still  want  to  catch  up  with  you.  What  your life  is  like."

I  turn  around  to  face  her. 

"Look.  Seeing  you  again,  is  wonderful.  But  I  still  feel  like  I  don't  even  know  you.  And  I  am  angry.  I  came  here,  because  my  friends  are  in  danger  and  we  need  to  do  something  about  it  here."  I  say.  Emily  scrunches  her  eyebrows,  confused.