28

ELI

Jamie and I stumble across the ground, coming across trees and hills. It's been hours. Hours and hours. I don't even know if we're going the right way. The sky is a dark navy, knowing the crack of dawn is racing through.

"We've been walking for hours and my feet are killing me. What's the point of this anymore?" says Jamie panting.

"What's the point? You know what the point is, just keep walking," I say. Jamie stops. I sigh and turn around. "Do you wanna get Sawyer back?"

"Yes!" snaps Jamie. "And Tyler, and Lillette and everyone else! We could've fought them off, but instead you drag us away from even more of our friends. We don't even know where Grace and Levin are."

"I know, but it was either wait it out behind bars, or take these chips out to get everyone out of there. We can't find where they are, because our powers are blocked off." I say.

"Well apparently not yours because you're so special. You only have powers from this source your mother put in you. Have you ever even thought that you could have as much power as Sawyer has?" says Jamie. I give him a look.

"What?" I ask confused, stepping toward him.

"I mean, you could. You could have telepathy. You could've spoken to Grace. You couldn't think of connecting to Grace's brain and telling her to come get us?" says Jamie. I raise my eyebrows.

"So you're saying this is my fault?" I ask.

"Maybe it is! You were born human! See you're not like any of us, Eli," says Jamie. "You were acting like you knew what to do, but now it seems like you just made everything worse. Tyler and Lillette are still there, and they let us escape. Who knows what Emmet will do to them?"

"You think I don't know that?" I snap back.

"Oh I'm sure you do. It just really seems like you don't care." mutters Jamie with an annoyed smile on his face.

"Hey I do care! I care about my friends, I care about you! I'm just trying to do the right thing." I say.

"The right thing! So you're saying our own strength comes before our friends?" snaps Jamie.

"I did not say that." I mutter angrily.

"Ha, you know I knew you were different from us, but I didn't know you were that kind of different..." mutters Jamie. Heat rises in my veins as I look at him angered.

"What do you mean 'different'?" I ask. Jamie gives me a look, scoffing in surprise.

"Wow. How oblivious are you? First you're a parentless guy from a violent city that was artificially empowered with powers like ours. I really do like you, but now you're just being an ass! Your only focus is on getting these chips out and not worrying of what could happen to our friends! I wonder how your crazy mother would feel about that!" says Jamie. I step straight up to his face.

"Shut up! You don't know anything about my mom!" I shout.

"Neither do you! You were abandoned by your parents left to die! You realize if Sawyer never would've found you, you still be that guy! The parentless, starving, worthless guy!" yells Jamie, angered.