42

TYLER

Lillete  may  be  confident,  but  for  some  reason  I  can't  stop  thinking  about  this  time  in  the  Camp.  Just  being  at  a  society  with  Children  of  42  all  over  again  is  making  me  think  about  this  time  when  we  were  all  sixteen...  There  was  this  woman  Valerie,  and  she  introduced  us  to  Pyramids...

3  years  earlier

"Enhanced  hearing  gives  you  the  power  to  hear  sounds  better  than  the  average  person  whenever  you  intend  on  doing  so,"  explained  Valerie.  Pyramids  were  a  sudden  new  thing  in  training  that  no  one  had  ever  told  us  about.  There  were  four  levels,  and  you  had  to  get  to  the  top  to  apparently  pass  full  time.  "Today  we  will  be  testing  your  enhanced  hearing.  It  will  be  very  simple.  All  you  have  to  do  is  put  on  the  blindfold  and  detect  what  you  hear  around  you."

    I  looked  at  the  blindfold  I  held,  and  nodded  back  up  at  Valerie. 

    "You  will  have  robot  devices  that  will  surround  you  and  make  a  high  frequency  pitch.  If  you  hear  it,  aim  the  sensor  you  have  at  your  hand  at  it.  If  you  aim  it  right,  it  means  your  hearing  is  good,"  explained  Valerie.  Disturbed,  I  looked  at  all  of  the  square  shaped  robots  that  surrounded  me  in  the  room.  "But  some  of  the  robots  will  play  louder  sounds.  Sounds  all  of  us  can  hear.  Your  goal  is  to  not  direct  the  sensor  at  them."

    Of  course  there  was  always  a  catch.

    "If  you  direct  your  sensor  towards  the  louder  sounds,  it  will  deduct  your  score  until  you  fail  your  first  round  of  Pyramids."  explained  Valerie  coldly.

    "May  I  ask  why?"  I  asked.  Valerie  put  her  chin  up,  arching  an  eyebrow.

    "We're  testing  your  temptation  to  strike  at  the  loud  sensors.  Think  of  them  as  people.  We  don't  want  you  to  hurt  anyone."  said  Valerie  with  a  creepy  smile.

    That's  just  ridiculous.  I  couldn't  hurt  anyone  with  enhanced  hearing!

    "You  may  begin  when  you're  ready."  said  Valerie.  What  the  hell  was  she  trying  to  do  to  us?

    I  hesitantly  put  on  the  blindfold,  and  got  the  sensor  in  my  hand  ready.  I  swallowed,  trying  my  hardest  not  to  be  nervous.  When  you  were  nervous,  your  powers  always  got  worse,  they  got  out  of  control  and  you'd  just  DO  things.

    Well  I  had  to  focus.  Listen  for  the  beeps.  I  turned  all  of  my  hearing  on.

    I  heard  a  long,  high  pitched  sound  coming  from  my  right.  I  turned  to  my  right,  directing  the  sensor  to  it.  Just  like  that,  the  beeping  stopped.

    Phew...  so  far  so  good...

    Another  one  came  a  little  more  towards  my  right,  behind  me.  I  turned,  moving  the  sensor  towards  the  beep,  and  it  stopped.  The  beeping  continued.  One  came  to  my  left,  one  came  to  my  right.  Another  to  my  right,  and  to  my  left.