39

LAURA

"...for  the  ending  they  lack  of  their  disunity.'"  finishes  Sawyer,  as  I  write  down  the  poem.  I  look  at  the  paper,  so  intrigued  by  Cynthia  Lark's  writing.  Still  can't  believe  you  harm  more  than  one  person  while  sitting  in  the  Chair.  "You  really  think  that  would  help  us?"

"It  could,"  I  say,  pocketing  the  paper.  I  put  my  hand  on  her  cheek,  looking  at  her  injuries.  "You  gonna  be  okay?" 

Sawyer  nods,  looking  exhausted.  I  take  my  hand  off  her,  and  stand  up. 

"You  should  really  get  some  sleep,  Bean,"  I  say.  "You  haven't  been  able  to  sleep  in  days."

She  sulks.

"I  don't  want  to  sleep...  I  want  my  friends..."  she  sighs.  I  push  her  hair  back.

"I  know  it's  hard.  But  you  need  sleep.  We'll  work  harder  later."  I  say.  Sawyer  stares  at  me,  but  nods.

"Good  night."  she  says,  lying  back,  putting  the  covers  over  her. 

"Night."  I  say.  I  get  up  from  the  bed,  and  walk  over  to  the  bedroom.  I  walk  in,  seeing  Aaron  sitting  on  the  floor.  He  looks  up  at  me,  smiling.

"Hey."  he  says.

"Hey,  we're  making  progress."  I  say  holding  up  the  paper.  I  hand  it  to  him  and  he  reads  it.

"Where'd  you  get  this  from?"  he  asks. 

"Cynthia  Lark  wrote  poems  about  what  she  saw  in  the  future.  This  could  help  us."  I  say,  lying  back  on  the  bed.  He  looks  back  up  at  me,  smiling.  I  smile  back  down  at  him.

"Hey  you  know  it's...  really  nice  to  hear  from  someone  who  lost  someone  to  cancer."  he  says.  I  look  at  him,  surprised  by  the  random  comment.  I  sit  up,  smiling.

"Oh.  Yeah.  I'm  glad  you  shared."  I  say,  nodding.  Aaron  nods.

"You  know,  you  haven't  shared  your  story."  he  says.  I  stare  at  him,  and  look  away,  going  silent.  I  sigh  through  my  nose,  pushing  my  hair  back.  Aaron  then  hops  up  on  the  bed  with  me  sitting  next  me. 

I  briefly  smile,  taking  a  deep  breath.

"My  mom  got  cancer  when  I  was  fourteen.  It  was  really  bad,  and  died  only  four  months  after  her  diagnosis.  I  had  three  younger  siblings  at  the  time,  who  were  as  devastated  as  my  dad.  So...  not  long  after  my  dad  remarried  to  another  woman.  And  she  already  had  three  kids.  Then,  she  and  my  dad  had  twins.  And  then  the  next  thing  I  knew,  I  had  eight  younger  siblings,"  I  explain.  He  listens  closely  with  soft  eyes.  "Since  my  dad  was  always  at  work,  and  my  stepmom  was  always  passed  out  drunk  in  her  bed,  I  was  just  always  the  one  to  take  care  of  them."

"Oh..."  says  Aaron  bashfully.

"Yeah..."  I  smile.  "Seriously  though,  I  helped  them  get  dressed,  I  drove  them  to  school,  I  cooked  their  meals,  even  cut  their  hair...  and  then  I  would  just...  tuck  them  into  bed  at  the  end  of  the  day.  That's  when  I  knew  I  wanted  to  be  a  mother."

Aaron  smiles.

"But  also  growing  up,  I  knew  I  wanted  to  work  with  the  amazing,  powerful  children  born  in  2042.  So  when  college  came  around,  I  went  into  training,  and  got  into  the  top  of  my  class  just  like  that.  Then  apparently  since  I  was  so  skilled,  I  was  selected  to  train  the  most  powerful  Child  of  42  ever  known.  And  I  wouldn't  trade  her  for  the  world.  Not  only  was  she  my  student,  but  she's  the  closest  thing  I  have  to  a  daughter.  I'm  grateful  to  have  Sawyer  in  my  life...  because  doctors  have  told  me  I  have  a  ten  percent  chance  of  ever  getting  pregnant..."

Aaron  looks  at  me  sympathetically.  I  look  at him,  realizing  I've  started  to  cry.  I  start  laughing,  brushing  away  the  tears.

"Jesus,  I'm  sorry."  I  say  smiling,  getting  up  from  the  bed.  Aaron  gets  up  in  front  of  me.

"No,  no  no.  It's  okay."  he  says,  smiling  back.  I  look  back  at  him,  standing  fairly  close  to  him.  I  stop  smiling,  getting  quite  emotional.

"Um...  it  felt  good  to  finally  tell  someone  that..."  I  say,  hugging  my  chest.  "I've...  never  really  told  anyone  that  before."

"Well...  To  be   honest,  I've  told  people  my  story  before...  But  when  I  told  you..."  he  begins.  He  looks  into  my  eyes,  inching  closer  to  me.  "It  felt  like  I  was  telling  it  all  over  again."

I  look  at  him,  never  feeling  like  this  before.  I  uncross  my  arms  from  my  chest,  to  move  even  closer  towards  him.  I  was  so  hesitant  before,  but  now  I'm  not.

I  slowly  put  my  hand  on  the  back  of  his  head,  bringing  his  lips  to  mine.  Neither  of  us  seem  surprised,  because  we've  both  wanted  to  do  this  for  so  long. 

The  kids  could  see  through  us.  We're  terrible  at  hiding  our  feelings...  but  now  we  don't  have  to  hide  them  anymore. 

He  grabs  my  waist  as  he  kisses  me  back.  I  never  thought  I'd  fall  in  love  again.  Now  I  have. 

He  kisses  me  again,  both  of  us  going  faster. 

That's  when  Aaron  picks  me  up  from  under  my  legs,  and  walks  over  to  the  bed.  Wow...  what  a  feeling.  For  eight  straight  months  I've  been  clinging  on  the  other  side  of  the  bridge,  refusing  to  walk  over  it. 

But  too  late...  I'm  already  on  the  other  side.