57

ELI

"Please  Reed,  just  a  few  minutes."  says  Emily  to  Reed.  Reed  blocks  us  from  the  door  to  the  room  where  Lance  is  being  held.

"We  all  stay  clear  of  him  until  his  execution."  declares  Reed.

"Can  you  please  stop  saying  that?!"  snaps  Jamie,  walking  up  to  him.  Emily  grabs  his  arm  in  caution.  "I'm  telling  you  my  brother  didn't  start  the  fire.  Just  please  spare  him,  he  wants  to  change."

"A  little  too  late  for  us  to  believe  that."  says  Reed. 

"Jamie  please."  says  Emily.  Jamie  turns  to  Emily,  but  back  at  Reed.

"Spare  him  or  God  so  help  me."  snaps  Jamie. 

"If  you  won't  stop,  we  may  as  well  execute  him  now.  Make  it  faster?"  snaps  Reed.

"Dear  God  Reed,  will  you  please  just  pucker  up  and  act  professional  for  once?"  snaps  Emily.  I  look  at  Emily  in  surprise,  as  does  Reed.  Reed  stares  at  her,  anger  rising  in  his  eyes.

"Get  these  three  out  of  here."  he  mutters.  Guards  go  up  to  us,  and  snatch  us  by  our  arms,  escorting  us  out  of  the  building.  They  shove  us  outside.  I  adjust  my  jacket,  annoyed,  and  turn  to  the  two  of  them.

"Well  we  know  that  tactic  isn't  gonna  work."  I  say.  Jamie  stares  me  down.

"Hey,"  we  hear  from  behind  us.  We  turn  around,  and  see  Levin  and  Grace  walking  towards  us.  Levin  walks  up  next  to  me.  "Is  it  today?" 

I  nod.

"Yeah..."  I  say  to  him.  "We're  trying  to  stop  it  from  happening."

"It's  gonna  happen  isn't  it?"  says  Jamie  to  Emily.  "It's  gonna  happen!"

"Calm  down,  we're  doing  everything  we  can."  says  Emily.

"That's  what  you've  been  saying  for  the  past  three  days.  If  Lance  dies..."  begins  Jamie.

"Whatever  happens,  it's  gonna  be  okay."  I  assure  Jamie.  Jamie  looks  at  me,  angered.

"You  don't  know  that."  he  says.  Nightfall  is  gonna  come  soon.  Lance  will  be  at  his  knees  when  a  bullet  is  put  to  his  head.  Jamie  heads  away  from  us,  leaving  all  of  us  to  turn  to  one  another.

"We  can  try  to  save  Lance,  but  even  if  we  can't,  we  won't  have  a  choice  but  to  go  back  to  Freemind."  I  say.
"Eli,  we  all  know  that  would  crush  Jamie."  says  Grace  like  I'm  crazy.

"We  still  have  our  other  friends  to  get  back  to  though.  They've  been  there,  left  alone,  left  to  fend  for  themselves  for  twelve  days.  We  can't  stay  here  any  longer  when America's  doing  God  knows  what."  I  say.

"I  know  you're  worried,  but  there's  a  difference  between  worrying  our  friends  won't  make  it,  and  saving  them."  says  Grace.  I  stare  at  her,  confused.  I  nod,  making  Grace  nod  after  me.  I  need  to  remember  that. 

*  *  *

Since  Jamie  is  refusing  to  talk,  I  take  another  walk  in  the  woods.  I  can  bend  water  and  fire...  but  can  I  really  bend  Earth?  She  said  I  could  master  any  power  if  I  listened  to  anything  around  me...  I  think  I  should  try  it  again.