67

TYLER

When  will  we  be  able  to  go  back  for  Eli,  Jamie  and  the  others?  It's  been  almost  two  weeks,  and  we've  all  just  stayed  here.  I  don't  know  if  I  can  wait  anymore.  I  might  just  go,  even  if  Laura  and  Lim  says  it's  not  safe.  Our  friends  are  there,  my  boyfriend  is  there. 

Jamie  would  know  what  to  do.  He  always  does...

Lillette  stands  against  the  chair  at  that  table,  practicing  walking  for  the  first  time  since  her  surgery.

"You're  done?"  I  say,  smiling  that  she's  just  standing  there.

"Hey,  I  walked  across  the  whole  table,  cut  me  some  slack."  she  says.  I  snicker. 

"Glad  to  see  you  happy  again."  I  say.  She  glances  over  at  me,  shrugging  bashfully.

"Well,  I  experienced  being  shot  in  the  spine,  extreme  back  pain  and  being  awake  through  the  whole  surgery.  I'd  rather  be  happy  than  be  miserable."  she  claims.  We  hear  the  door  open  in  the  back,  turning  to  see  Laura  and  Lim  walking  through.

"Guys,  where's  Sawyer?"  asks  Laura,  looking  concerned  and  walking  quickly.  I  look  at  her  confused.

"I...  I  thought  she  was  with  you."  I  say,  getting  out  of  the  chair.

"So  she  isn't  here?"  says  Laura,  starting  to  pace.  She  goes  over  into  the  bedroom,  opens  the  door,  and  Sawyer  is  nowhere  to  be  found.  "Did  that  freaking  child  go  look  for  America?"

"Laura,  just  calm  down,  we'll  figure  this  out."  assures  Lim,  grabbing  her  hand.  I  raise  my  eyebrows,  picking  up  something  from  their  body  movement.

"I  am  not  gonna  calm  down,"  claims  Laura,  raising  her  voice.  "I  don't  know  where  Sawyer  is!"

"Not  to  stress  people  out,  but  that  honestly  seems  like  something  Sawyer  would  do."  says  Lillette,  talking  fast  in  worrisome.  I  actually  agree,  but  this  is  serious!  It's  unlikely  Sawyer  is  safe  right  now,  the  fact  that  America  is  after  her. 

"She  has  been  off  the  past  few  days.  What's  been  going  on  with  her?"  I  say  going  up  to  Lim  and  Laura.

"She's  learning  her  new  power,  and  somehow  messed  things  up  with  America.  America  has  had  the  same  power  Sawyer  has  for  years  now,  and  they've  been  making  a  connection.  She  hasn't  talked  to  me  since  Lillette's  surgery,  something  is  obviously  going  on."  says  Laura. 

"The  power  she  has?  You  mean  the  power  that's  been  making  her  veins  glow  white?  I've  been  noticing  them  on  her  face  and  hands,  that  is  not  normal."  I  say. 

"No,  it's  not."  says  Lim,  accepting  that  something  is  very  wrong. 

"I  can't  even  imagine  what  America  could  be..."  Laura  begins,  but  she's  suddenly  cut  off  by  a  mic  squeaking  from  an  intercom.  It's  muffled,  since  we're  below  the  floors  of  Freemind,  but  we  all  look  up  confused.

"Good  evening,  citizens  of  Freemind...  and  our  guests  of  course."  a  voice  booms  over  through  the  intercom.

America.