43

LILLETTE

But  then  there's  something.  I  open  my  eyes,  feeling  completely  energized  and  fine.  I  slowly  get  up,  and  look  down  at  my  stomach. 

No  gunshot  wound.  But  I  got  shot.

I  look  around,  seeing  brightness.  What's  happening?  Why  am  I  here,  and  not  in  the  hallway? 

I  realize  I'm  in  an  endless  room  with  no  walls.  The  floor  is   a  clear  white,  and  there  are  white  flakes  dancing  around  me.  It's  so  beautiful.

"Where  am  I?"  I  mutter  to  myself.  I  spin  my  body  around,  and  I  see  a  graceful  figure  standing  several  feet  away  from  me.  I  squint  my  eyes  at  it,  and  see  that  it's  a  woman.

It's  a  beautiful  woman,  glowing  white  flares  from  all  around  her  body.  She's  wearing  a  long  white  dress,  sparkling  stars  lighting  it  up.  Once  I  see  her  face,  her  curly  blonde  hair  is  flowing  back,  she's  got  pure  blue  eyes,  and  a  soft  smile.  But  it's  almost  like  I  can't  even  see  the  color  of  features,  because  she's  glowing  so  much.  She  looks  like  a  spirit.

"Hi,"  I  mutter,  going  up  to  her.  We  stand  about  ten  feet  apart,  as  she  keeps  a  beautiful  smile  on  her  face.  "What  is  this  place?" 

She  doesn't  respond.  She  just  keeps  looking  at  me.

Everything  recalls  in  my  head.  All  I  remember  is  Emmet  firing  shots  at  us,  Tyler  pulling  me  to  the  ground...  and  collapsing  from  the  gunshot  wound. 

"Am  I  dead?"  I  ask.  "I  must  be.  I  can't  believe  he  actually  killed  me."

The  woman  looks  at  me,  and  then  looks  up. 

"Lillette!  Stay  with  me!"  a  voice  booms  through  the  endless  room.  "Lillette!"

Tyler... 

The  woman  looks  at  me  again,  as  if  she's  telling  me  something.  I  stare  at  her  surprised. 

"I  am  still  alive,"  I  mutter.  I  don't  know  if  I  should  feel  relieved  or  even  satisfied.  I  don't  know  what  to  feel.  "But  why  am  I  here?"

The  woman  reaches  out  her  hand  to  me,  giving  me  a  smaller  smile.  I  look  at  her  hand,  confused  on  what  that  means.

Wait...  I  think  she's  giving  me  a  choice. 

"You  want  me  to  go  with  you?"  I  ask.  She  doesn't  say  anything.  "Or  I  can  live."

She  gives  me  a  slow,  barely  visible  nod. 

My  whole  life,  I've  always  thought  no  one  has  ever  needed  me.  Maybe  they  do  this  time.  Maybe  I  can  do  something. 

But  I  guess  right  now,  I  need  them  more  than  they  need  me.

I  make  my  decision.  I  slowly  shake  my  head  at  her. 

"I  choose  life.  I  want  to  live."  I  say.  She  smiles  brightly,  respecting  my  choice.  I  smile  back,  as  she  lowers  her  hand.

Before  I  know  it,  everything  around  me  starts  to  get  brighter  and  brighter  and  brighter... 

Until  I'm  back  on  the  floor,  feeling  limp  and  tired.  My  eyes  flutter  open,  hearing  my  name  be  said.