29

EMILY

"What  the  hell  was  that?"  says  Marley  rubbing  her  eyes.  Marley  and  I  look  at  each  other  confused.  We  just  heard  gunshots.  I  then  start  to  hear  a  lot  of  chattering  and  yelling  outside.  I  look  out  the  window  confused,  and  see  everyone  run  away,  looking  like  they're  getting  out  of  the  way  of  something.  Marley  looks  outside.  "What's  going  on  out  there?"

She  jogs  out  of  the  door,  making  me  walk  behind  her.  Once  we  both  walk  out,  I  cringe  on  how  disturbing  it  is. 

I  see  guards  armed,  surrounding  two  boys  they're  in  the  middle  of  restraining.  One  of  the  boys  is  bleeding  profusely  out  of  his  arm,  and  the  other  looks  barely  conscious.  They  need  to  get  to  medical,  I  need  to  treat  them!  I  think  one  of  them  got  shot. 

"I  need  you  all  to  stand  back!"  I  see  Reed  shout  to  everyone  at  the  front. 

"Reed!  Hey!"  I  shout,  walking  up  to  him.  Of  course  he  doesn't  tell  me  to  stand  back,  and  lets  me  pass.  "What  the  hell  is  going  on?" 

"We  found  these  two  lurking  in  the  woods.  We  think  they're  Children  of  42,  who  are  a  threat  to  our  society  right  now."  says  Reed.  I  turn  to  the  boys.  One  of  them  has  curly  hair,  who  is  bleeding  from  his  forehead  with  blood  dripping  down.  The  other  is  dripping  blood  from  his  arm  like  a  fountain. 

"These  two  need  to  be  taken  to  medical  now!  I  said  bring  them  here!  Not  shoot  them!  One  of  them  is  losing  blood!"  I  shout  at  Reed. 

"These  Children  aren't  taken  to  medical  care  until  they  are  secure!"  says  Reed. 

"Look  at  them!  They  are  barely  conscious  and  didn't  want  to  cause  harm  in  the  first  place.  They  need  to  be  treated,  or  the  gunshot  victim  could  bleed  to  death!"  I  shout.

"I  said  not  until--!"  Reed  begins,  but  Marley  steps  up  to  him.

"Oh  my  GOD  asshole!  Just  listen  to  the  lady!"  she  snaps.  I  give  a  small  smile,  appreciating  her  backup.  Reed  stares  in  surprise  when  I  turn  to  him. 

"If  these  boys  can't  go  to  medical,  they  won't  be  alive  for  you  to  interrogate."  I  say  with  my  arms  crossed.  Reed  stares  at  me,  scrunching  his  eyebrows.  He  turns  to  the  guards,  keeping  a  hold  of  the  boys. 

"Take  them  to  medical."  he  says. 

"Yes,  sir."  says  a  guard,  shoving  them  along. 

"Be  careful,  they're  injured."  I  say,  walking  to  the  E.R.,  preparing  to  have  them  here. 

In  a  few  minutes,  we  put  both  of  the  boys  on  a  bed,  and  treat  them  immediately.  I  turn  on  a  bright  light,  illuminating  the  room,  even  though  we  can  barely  see  their  faces.  I  start  treating  the  gunshot  victim,  and  Marley  starts  treating  the  one  with  the  curly  hair. 

Several  minutes  have  passed...  until  the  gunshot  victim  slowly  wakes  up.  He  groans,  starting  to  sit  up.  I  gently  push  him  down.  He  realizes  the  thick  bandages  wrapped  around  his  left  arm,  making  him  groan  even  harder  in  pain.