59

AMERICA

They're coming back. All of them. Somehow four of them managed to get all the way to Freemind Headquarters without being spotted, and got the chips out so they could come back.

They're clever, and smarter than I thought... but when I have Sawyer, they'll be desperate.

America, what do we do once we see them? Jett talks through his head to mine.

Shoot them down. I say immediately. I go up to the window in my room, seeing that it has started to rain. Tell everyone to look closely. Their enhanced sight depends on it.

Mer, we don't want to kill anyone. says Jett. I roll my eyes, putting the curtains down.

Did I say kill them? I say. All I said was strike them down. Their chips are out, so keep them away from the entrance. Now.

Yes, America. he says.

Good. Tell Zynnia to contact the League at the headquarters. We'll need backup. I tell him.

Yeah. He responds.

I'm dressed in a black jacket, covering some of my neck, and wearing a grey tank top under it. I wear black moto leggings and boots, and let my combed blue hair down.

This time I'm ready. I'm gonna find her, and end all of this.

Sawyer has been acting so unlike how she was three and a half years ago. Everyone keeps telling me otherwise that she didn't kill Eden, but I'm telling people I saw what I saw.

No one believes me. Not even my brother. Maybe he will after this.

I walk down to Cyvil's office to tell him one last thing. He can't stop this.

I don't even knock, and open his door. He's leaning back in his swivel chair, his eyes closed, looking stressed. He opens his eyes briefly to look at me, but closes them again.

"What now?" he asks.

"I've come to say sorry." I say.

"I'd prefer a less casual apology for everything you've done." says Cyvil. I tilt my head up, raising my eyebrows.

"I'm saying sorry because this is not what you want, but this is happening. It was always going to happen, Vil. I do this for our fallen." I say.

"The fallen's blood is on your hands. Nine people died in the Chair. You killed two people who refused to sit and go under it. If you ask me, you established the fallen," says Cyvil. I stare at him, always feeling a tiniest bit of defeat every time he breaks the truth to me. "Do you even care about the other hundred and seven lives lost? Or do you just care about hers?"

"Seriously?" I say, reaching my breaking point. "I care about everyone here, and who was here. I can't forget their faces."

"Eden wouldn't want this and you know it. She'd want you to be happy." says Cyvil. How could he make her a part of this?

"I'll be happy soon enough. Just you wait." I snap. Cyvil stares at me from the end of the room, looking like he can't do anything from here.