41

LILLETTE

"Was it really that bad?" asks Tyler. I don't respond, sighing. "Why won't you tell me what happened?"

I still don't respond. I have no idea how long we've been in here. We haven't seen the light of day, we've barely eaten any food.

"Ty..." I croak out.

"Yeah?" he says, turning his head towards me.

"Let's get out of here." I say. Eli was able to resist the chip, maybe I can too.

"How... are we gonna do that?" asks Tyler quietly. "These binds are tight."

"Who said anything about cutting the binds?" I ask, turning to face him. He turns to face me, which we hadn't done in days. I look at him, trying to hint to him what I'm thinking of.

"Lillette, the chips." says Tyler.

"I know. But if I focus hard enough, maybe I can resist it like Eli did. Maybe I can connect to Sawyer's mind. Talk to her, tell her where we are and get us out of here." I say.

"Lillette, that's a terrible plan! Sawyer doesn't have telepathy anymore and you're chipped. You think this is gonna work?" he hisses.

"It's worth a shot," I say. "Can you think of anything better?"

Tyler doesn't say anything.

"That's what I thought," I say. He turns back, facing forward, letting out a sigh. "We need to try, Tyler."

"You can try." he says shrugging. He really thinks this isn't gonna work... but a part of me wants to believe that it will. I need to have hope.

Okay... I take a few deep breaths... and focus.

Find Sawyer's mind. Find that little part of Sawyer's mind that can hear me. I can do this...

LAURA

The door suddenly opens. I quickly jolt under the covers, hiding behind Aaron.

"Hey Lim, oh. Sorry, sorry... didn't realize you were still sleeping." comes Sawyer's voice immediately closing the door. Aaron, barely awake, pulls his head up and adjusts the covers.

"Sawyer? What do you need?" he mumbles.

"I need you to help me with something, I think I have an idea on what Cynthia's poem means. Can you come out in a few minutes?" asks Sawyer through clenched teeth.

"Yeah, yeah... sure..." says Aaron. We hear Sawyer walk away. Aaron immediately starts to snicker as I get out from under the covers. I start giggling with him, keeping the blanket over me.

"Holy shit, did she see me?" I say, quietly.

"I don't think so." says Aaron, resting his head on his hand, gazing at me. I laugh, laying back. I turn to him, smiling brightly.

"That was amazing." I sigh. He snickers.

"Yeah, sure was." he says.

I sigh again... coming to my senses.

"But Aaron..." I say. "The kids are in danger. We should... really focus on them, and not us."

I slide out of bed, taking some of the blanket with me, and go get my clothes.