44

ELI

I  was  about  to  start  my  training  with  Emily,  but  there  were  these  pictures  sitting  on  the  counter  in  her  office.

Pictures  of  me.  My  childhood  with  her.  I  flip  through  each  one  of  them. 

I  see  me,  probably  a  baby.  I've  never  seen  a  picture  of  me  as  a  baby  ever.  I'm  smiling  up  at  the  camera,  probably  held  by  Emily.  I'm  not  in  the  house  I  grew  up  in,  I'm  in  a  different  house,  a  better  looking  house.  She  couldn't  even  let  me  stay  in  that  house. 

I  look  at  the  next  picture,  and  it  takes  my  breath  away.  Emily  looks  so  young  in  this  picture,  and  is  holding  a  newborn  baby  close  to  her  chest.  I  think  this  was  moments  after  I  was  born.  She  was  just  a  teenager  when  she  had  me,  but  I  saw  her  just  as  every  son  would.  I  guess  she  didn't  see  me.

So  much  is  happening  right  now.  I  need  to  know  if  Sawyer's  alive,  but  no  one  knows.  I  need  to  know.

I  hear  the  door  open.

"Okay,  you  ready?"  I  hear  Emily  say.  I  turn  around,  unknowingly  if  I  should  put  the  pictures  back.  She  walks  in,  noticing  I'm  holding  them.  I  slowly  put  them  back,  and  sit  back.  "Oh..."

She  walks  up  next  to  me,  sitting  by  me.

"You  can  look  at  those  as  much  as  you  want,"  she  says.  She  glances  over  at  the  pictures,  smiling  briefly.  "You  had  very  curly  hair.  Still  do."

She  looks  at  me,  smiling.  I  smile  back,  starting  to  feel  less  angry  with  her  for  the  first  time  I've  seen  her. 

The  door  suddenly  opens,  interrupting  the  moment.  We  both  turn  around,  and  Reed  walks  in  the  door.  Emily  sighs,  getting  up.

"Would  you  mind  knocking?"  she  says.  "What?"

I  stare  at  Reed,  being  one  of  the  last  people  I  want  to  see.  Reed  and  Emily  start  talking.  In  the  middle  of  it,  I  hear  something  about  Jamie's  brother  Lance.  It's  hard  to  believe  Lance  had  been  here  all  along.  It  seems  like  Freemind  knows  more  knowledge  about  the  Children  of  42  than  anyone.

I  turn  to  Emily  and  Reed,  getting  impatient.  Reed  keeps  stepping  towards  Emily,  as  she  inches  away.  Emily  turns  around,  organizing  supplies  on  the  counter  as  he  continues  to  talk.  I  then  see  Reed  creep  his  hand  over  to  Emily's  thigh...  and  slowly  up  it. 

I  stare  in  shock,  as  Emily  flinches  away.  Reed  walks  out  once  they're  done  talking,  and  Emily  walks  back  over  to  me.  She  doesn't  face  me,  but  I  mention  it  first.

"Emily,"  I  say.  She  turns  to  me.  I  nod  my  head  over  to  the  door,  referring  to  Reed.  She  sulks,  turning  her  head  away.  "You're  really  gonna  let  him  do  that?"

"Just  don't  worry  about  it."  she  says. 

"Emily."  I  say  again,  telling  her  to  come  to  her  senses.  She  sighs,  turning  to  me.  I  don't  even  have  anything  to  say,  I  just  said  her  name.  She  stares  at  me  with  blank  eyes.