45

SAWYER

Lillette  lets  out  a  strong  exhale,  and  opens  her  eyes.  Tyler  sits  by  her,  bandages  wrapped  around  her  stomach  as  she  lays  on  the  bed.  A  cannula  is  kept  around  her  nose  to  keep  her  breathing  smoothly,  almost  slipping  from  her  nose  from  how  much  she's  sweating.

"He  actually  shot  me...  He  really  did..."  she  mutters.  Tyler  shakes  his  head,  the  panic  slowly  but  surely  draining  out  of  his  face.

"Emmet's  a  sociopath.  All  for  what  he  caused  back  at  the  Camp."  he  says. 

"He  came  after  you  first,  and  he's  getting  back  at  you  from  your  own  self  defense.  Truly  ridiculous."  I  mutter.  Lillette  raises  her  eyebrows  briefly,  exhaling  again.

"Emmet  was  taking  orders  from  America.  He's  working  for  America.  His  plan  might  have  something  to  do  with  her  own  ideas."  says  Tyler. 

An  idea  comes  to  my  mind...  but  I  don't  think  it's  a  safe  one.  America  still  doesn't  know  our  location,  but  there's  still  a  way  I  can  communicate  with  her.

"Was  anyone  else  with  you  and  Lillette?"  asks  Lim. 

"Yeah  actually.  Eli  and  Jamie  were,  but  they  broke  out."  says  Tyler.  I  sense  huge  relief  waving  over  me,  making  me  smile.

"Oh  my  God,  Jamie  and  Eli  are  okay?"  I  say.  Tyler  nods.

"Yeah.  They  went  to  Freemind  Headquarters  to  get  the  chips  out.  We  don't  know  if  they  made  it  there  are  not  though."  says  Tyler.  My  smile  fades,  but  then  I  realize  what  I  saw  on  the  computer.

"I  think  they  did  make  it  there,"  I  say.  Everyone  turns  to  me  confused.  "When  Cyvil  was  disabling  Lillette  and  Tyler's  chip,  I  saw  everyone  else's  names.  I  saw  Eli's,  and  his  connection  was  lost.  That  must  mean  they  made  it  there."

"Why  haven't  they  come  back  yet...?"  mutters  Lillette.  I  shrug.

"Maybe  taking  those  chips  out  takes  a  while  or  something's  holding  them  up.  We  can  go  after  them  right?"  I  ask,  turning  to  Laura.  Laura  shakes  her  head.

"No,  Sawyer."  she  says.  I  sulk.

"Laura..."  I  sigh. 

"There  are  people  watching  the  east  area.  If  they  see  you..."  begins  Laura.

"If  they  see  me,  I  can  just  use  my  illusion."  I  say. 

"Freemind  Headquarters  five  miles  away,  and  Children  of  Freemind  watching  you  can  see  for  miles.  A  five  mile  walk  can  go  on  for  hours,  you  can't  hold  your  illusions  that  long."  says  Laura. 

She's  beaten  to  a  point,  making  me  slump.

"Well,  all  that  matters  is  that  you're  alive."  says  Laura,  looking  at  Lillette.

"Well,  kind  of  dying  but..."  begins  Lillette. 

"Hey,  hey,"  softly  snaps  Tyler.  Lillette  looks  up  at  Tyler.  "You  are  not  dying.  You  hear  me?  You're  not  dying."