32

SAWYER

"It's very dangerous, but we got it working. We can do it tonight." says Laura, sitting by me. They surprisingly got the Chair working overnight. "I think it might be best if we do it tonight. We need to find answers as soon as possible."

I nod, sulking.

"I wanna know the truth about my mom too." I say. Laura thinks for a second, and then sighs like she's mad at herself for forgetting.

"Oh Bean, I'm so sorry, I..." she says, putting her hand on my shoulder. I shrug. "You haven't really had time to grieve in this crazy time."

"It's okay, Laura. I'm fine. We don't know for sure yet. America doesn't have any proof." I say. Laura closes her eyes.

"Sawyer. I have... experience with the five stages of grief. I can help, you know." she says. I look at her confused. She has experience? What does she mean by that?

"It's really okay, Laura. You don't have to." I say. Laura looks at me, with eyes I've never seen from her before.

"Bean... I know what it's like. I know what it's like to lose a mom. You don't have to be afraid to talk to me about it." says Laura.

She's lost her mom too...? What? How come she never told me that? How did I never know that, what?

"You never told me your mom died." I say, confused. Laura nods her head.

"I was a kid. But even younger than you. But that story is not important. I get it. You keep saying your fine. You're in denial that she's dead and could be alive." says Laura.

"She could!" I exclaim. Laura looks away, not responding. I get up from the bed.

"Let's just do it," I say. Laura and Lim look at each other. "I've been in this underfloor soon for two days doing nothing. I need to do something."

They both turn to me.

"Are you sure?" asks Laura. She will not stop telling me how dangerous taking the Chair is, but I need to find this out. My powers have been so funny since America and I fought, and I can't reveal my location to America. I have so much power in me, but compared to America, I feel so weak.

I nod.

"If we find out America's reasons to do this, we could get our friends back. We need them." I say.

The Chair does whatever you can put your mind to. I wonder how much I can use it against her.

* * *

By the time darkness crawls through the sky, we're clear to go. I dress in a tank top and leggings, fit to go under it.

We've walked into the Chairs' room, turning on the light, glowing a light blue. All of the Chairs look old and half broken, except for one of them. There's a glowing blue outline around the creases, the radio, the sensor, and the buttons on the screen. There are now, thin, clear tubes connected to the sensor at the top. There's a needle at the end of one of them, and clear vials hanging by the sensor.

"How did you get this ready so fast?" I ask.

"Turns out Lim and I know a few things together," says Laura, walking over to the counter, getting some supplies. Laura nods her head over to the Chair. "Go on, sit."