66

ELI

I grab Reed by the torso, and pull him off of Jamie. I throw Reed to the side, and pull Jamie up to his feet after he takes a breath of air.

"Run to the doors and don't look back!" I yell to him.

"I can't leave you here!" Jamie shouts over the rain.

"I got him! Go!" I shout. Jamie looks at the doors and at me nervously. I nod, telling him it's okay. He sprints over to the doors, leaving me behind.

Full of anger, I turn to Reed, getting up from the ground. Once he gets up from the ground, a smile spreads across his face. He lunges towards me, but I let him do it. I need to wait for the right time, I've got a plan.

He punches me in the stomach, making me belch out in pain as I lean against a tree. I hear Reed snicker to himself.

"You're weak," he says, as if he is surprised. "But you're willing to give your life to let your friends escape. Like you're using yourself as a distraction."

He crouches down in front of me as I wince clutching my stomach.

"Let your mother escape. The person who caused all of this," says Reed. Once he says that, I scrunch my eyebrows like he's crazy. "Your mother took away your humanity. Because of her, you don't know who you are, and don't know how to use your powers. But you're just gonna lose control..."

I have lost control before. When I fought against Phineas. I hurt Vegas, I hurt myself. I can't lose control again.

Letting out a scream, I launch myself towards Reed, shoving him down on the ground. He fights against me when he punches me in the face, making me lose my balance  and  fall. He grabs me, turns me around, and locks his arm around my neck.

I wince, desperately wanting air.

"Emily is the reason for this! She created a monster out of her own son! She doesn't love you! You're just an experiment, and she succeeded... so you she doesn't care anymore!" shouts Reed. I clutch his arms, choking hard on my blocked airway.

I have to do this now!

I stretch my arm out, trying to reach the ground. I have to do what I just did to save Emily! I bent the ground, I could do it again.

What do I hear? What do I hear? I need to train again!

"You'll always be a dangerous, monstrous source. You don't have to live like this anymore Eli!" begins Reed. My hands clutch the mud as I feel unconsciousness approaching me. I close my eyes.

I hear the rain. I hear the fire. I hear the twigs and branches snapping.

Rain has force. Fire has heat. Twigs and branches have structure. Connect all of that together to create all the strength in me.

"I can make it stop... I can make you better, just like we made Lance better. You don't have to be a source of power you don't know how to use! You can be normal. You don't have to be what you are... It can all end right here..."

I open my eyes... and glance at the large pine tree standing a few feet away from us. I stop showing fear and pain in my face... and show determination.

And just like that, I feel everything connect instantly. I clench the mud as hard as I can... and feel a giant force come out of me towards the tree.

Everything goes silent for a moment once I blurt out, "I think I like what I am!"

The ground beneath the pine tree starts to rumble intensely. The roots beneath it snap apart, releasing from the ground.

Fall our direction.

The pine tree starts to rustle, as it slowly begins to tip forward. I hear it force against the wind and rain. I hear Reed exclaim alarmed.

"What have you done?!" he shrieks. I escape his arm as quick as I can, and move over on top of him. I hold him down to the ground as hard as I can, both of us grunting in anger.

I hear the pine tree fall closer, and closer, until it's too close. I turn around, seeing the pine tree directly at my face.

I throw my body the right, rolling out of the way as I hear Reed let out one final scream in fury... but it's cut off instantly once the tree hits the ground... bouncing up and down... until it's still.

I stare in calm shock, panting in and out. I can barely see Reed's body within the spiny branches of the tree. I see his blood pool in the puddles, making guilt rise over me.

"I'm sorry." I say to him, though he won't hear anyone else on this Earth again.

It's finally over. All of it.

Not for long though.

Our friends are still inside, and need rescuing. Sawyer is still inside. I have to go get her, whether she's in danger or not. I get up, sprinting to the doors. I see Jamie, Levin, Grace, and Emily at an entrance waiting for me.

I run up to them, and once I reach them, Emily embraces me tightly. I hug back, never so  relieved to see her. She sighs in relief, me hearing the cry in her voice as she lets go of me.

She looks up at me, putting her hand on my cheek. I smile, grabbing her hand, glancing over at everyone else.

"Is everyone okay for the millionth time?" she says. We all snicker, nodding. Something is missing... we're missing someone.

Once I realize who we're missing, I glance over at Jamie, who has never looked so devastated. I go up to him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

He glances up at me.

"Lance?" I ask. He looks down, closing his eyes. Oh no...

"Oh..." pants Emily, walking over to him. She puts her hand on Jamie's cheek, as she holds onto her wrist. I put my hand on his shoulder, making him grab onto my hand.

We saved him from his execution, but he still didn't make it. He was so ready to die. He couldn't bear to fight anymore.

We all take a minute, until Emily says, "We should... get moving."

Emily opens up the door in front of us, leading to a quiet room full of light. We walk through more doors, and find ourselves in a white and grey hallway.

Once we're inside, Grace collapses to the floor in relief, letting out a huge exhale. I do the same as I lay on my back, panting. Jamie and Levin lean against the wall, absolutely exhausted.

We're finally here again.

We're finally at Freemind. We made it. He did it. We were actually able to go from the headquarters to Freemind.

I turn to my right, seeing Grace look at me. We both look at each other, letting out a smile in pure relieved happiness.

We made it. We didn't give up.

We're here to save our friends. We're here to save Sawyer.

Please be alive Sawyer. I'm coming to get you. Like I always will.