48

JAMIE

"You have three minutes." the guard says, once he opens the door. I turn to the entrance, and walk through it. Here we go again.

I walk in, keeping a distance between Lance and I. Lance has both of his wrists cuffed, a chain bolted to the floor. Cuffs are keeping the protective gloves on him from using his dangerous powers. Lance stares blankly away from me. A long silence passes, but I start talking to get this over with.

"Remember when I came to see you all those months ago? A situation similar to this?" I ask. He continues to stare blankly. "Back when you were sane, you told me you would never murder people. You said you didn't know what you were doing... but now it seems you know exactly what you're doing. You smiled after you killed that man. Do you even care about what I would think? What Mom would think?"

He looks up at me, his jaw dropping into a small smile.

"She's not gonna be around any longer, Jamie..." he slithers. "Would you accept that already? She's too sick to handle me."

Rage builds up inside me, but I keep it settled.

"I don't know why the hell you're letting this power do what it wants with your body, but can you keep it together already? I haven't seen you in eight months... and this is our introduction. You're my brother. We have to be there for each other. I'll be there for you." I say. He gets a snicker out of that.

"You're not my brother..." he says, leaning against the wall. "You're just a guy who looks like me..."

I feel like my heart should drop, but it already has too many times.

"I mean... sorta like me." he says, pointing to his cheeks. He's talking about the burned  scars on my face.

He grabs his face with his right hand, and makes a dramatic looking face. He drops it from his face, starting to laugh. I briefly roll my eyes in disappointment.

"I'm serious. We have no idea what these people could do to you. They almost killed you. You can stop this, if you fight hard enough." I say. Lance lets out a long, groaning sigh.

"You dumbass," he says, bouncing off of the wall, and walking towards me. "They should've shot me. I'm a threat. Surprised they even let you in here. My heart could burn this island to the ground. So much fire is in my veins, my heart is a pumping ball of fire. I could kill you with it."

I start backing up, as Lance walks closer and closer to me. He then makes a sudden jerk, making me flinch the tiniest bit in fear. He smirks, and lowers his head... making the most terrifying face I've ever seen him make.

"See...?" he says with a crooked smile. "You're scared of me."

He tilts his head as he runs his tongue along the edge of his teeth, licking his lips.

"Like everyone should be," he says, his mouth hanging open at the end of each sentence. I look at him like I don't even recognize him anymore. "You're only my brother if we're the same..."

He takes one more step forward, his face just an inch away from mine. He shakes his head, grinning.

"And we'll never be..." he mutters. He spurts spit out of his lips, sprinkling onto my face, making me flinch my head back. I look at him, never this shocked that this is my brother. This is what he is now.