49

ELI

It's  the  day  after,  and  Emily  has  had  me  start  training.  She  knows  my  powers  best.  She  created  the  source,  and  she  enhanced  each  power  to  make  Anthony  want  it.  What  can  I  do?

"Electrokinesis  users  can  manipulate  electricity,"  recalls  Emily,  setting  a  wired  light  switch  in  front  of  me.  I  look  at  it  confused,  and  then  at  her.  I  nod.  "You  can  do  more  than  that.  Not  only  can  you  ignite  sparks  from  this  light  switch,  but  you  can  make  the  sparks  travel."

I  scrunch  my  eyebrows,  and  look  at  the  light  switch.  Emily  gives  me  a  smile,  and  waves  my  hand  to  the  light  switch.

"Come  on."  she  says.  Smiling  confusingly,  I  bring  my  hand  towards  the  light  switch.  Once  I  think  about  it,  lines  of  sparks  connect  to  my  fingertips.  I  giggle  from  how  much  it  tickles,  and  Emily  giggles  with  me.  The  light  switch  sparks,  making  snapping  sounds.  They're  a  faint  yellow  and  pastel  blue,  intriguing  me  quickly.

"Now...  keep  your  mind  connected  to  the  sparks,  and  slowly  lift  your  hand  up."  she  says.  I  lift  my  hand  up,  making  sure  my  force  is  connected  to  them...  and  it  travels  up  in  a  long  line  of  sparks. 

I  stare  in  surprise,  and  once  spread  my  hands  apart,  I  form  a  spider  web. 

"Whoa..."  I  say.

"Yeah.  You're  the  only  one  that  can  do  that.  Normal  electrokinesis  users  can  just  make  things  explode,  form  a  light.  They  can't  form  paths  of  electricity  like  you  can.  In  rare  cases,  they  can  form  electricity  with  their  mind,  but  that  takes  years  of  practice.  You  can  do  anything  you  want  with  electricity,  and  you  don't  have  to  practice  for  years."  says  Emily.  I  move  my  hands  up  and  down,  the   lines  scrunching  up  and  down  like  a  retractable  net. 

I  disconnect  the  sparks  from  my  mind,  expecting  them  to  just  fade  away,  but  they  spark  away  dramatically.  Emily  and  I  both  jump,  tiny  little  sparks  snapping  everywhere.

We  both  smile  in  surprise.  We  look  at  each  other,  softening  our  smiles.

"That's  um..."  I  say  flexing  my  hand.  I  start  nodding.  "That's  pretty  cool."

Emily  nods.

"You  should  see  what  you  can  do  when  you  really  focus."  says  Emily.  My  whole  life,  I've  been  so  unaware  of  so  many  things  that  I  can  do.  Now  I  finally  get  to  see  them. 

I  start  thinking  of  Grace's  words,  and  I  feel  like  I  should  say  something.

"Hey  um.  Emily,  I'm  really,  really  happy  I  found  you  again.  I  really  missed  you."  I  say  nodding.  She  smiles,  looking  surprised.

"Oh.  Yeah,  Eli.  I'm  really  happy  to  see  you.  And  I'm  really  happy  you're  okay."  says  Emily.  I  nod,  but  I  need  to  get  to  know  her.

"Um...  hey  uh,  what  happened  with  my  dad?"  I  ask.  Emily  stares  at  me,  her  smile  fading.  She  looks  down  at  the  counter,  hesitant  to  answer.