73

SAWYER

Eli  hugs  me  close,  making  me  feeling  safe  and  warm  in  his  arms.  I  got  dressed  in  white  leggings,  a  blue  tank  top  and  the  shoes  at  Freemind.  I  feel  lucky  to  finally  be  at  peace  with  him.

"I  knew  you  could  do  it."  he  says,  brushing  his  hands  up  and  down  my  arms.  I  smile,  but  we  have  incomplete  business.  I  sit  up  to  face  him.

"We  have  unfinished  business,"  I  say.  He  looks  at  me  confused,  but  almost  like  he  knows  what  I  mean.  "I  need  to  go  get  America."

"No...  please  tell  me  you're  not  going  out  there  again..."  he  exclaims,  sitting  up.  I  sit  back  up  to  face  him.

"Eli,  I  have  to  do  this.  Please."  I  say,  trying  to  assure  him  it's  okay.  He  looks  at  me  worried.

"Sawyer,  she  just  tried  to  kill  you."  says  Eli.  I  nod,  but  continue.

"I  know.  But  I  need  to  save  her.  Please."  I  say.

"I  am  not  letting  her  go  near  you,"  he  claims,  getting  protective.  I  press  my  lips  against  each  other,  sighing.  "What  would  she  need  saving  from?"

"The  calling  said  something  about  a  savior.  Maybe  it's  me.  Maybe  we  have to   save  America  from  doing  something  terrible.  Or  maybe  it's  America,  since  Cynthia  wrote  it  and  was  on  America's  side,  thinking  she  was  the  savior.  I  don't  know  who  it  is,  but  it's  someone,"  I  say.  Eli  stares  at  me,  blinking  like  he's  thinking.  "America  told  me  to  go  to  the  depths  of  Freemind.  We  just  need  to  know  where  that  is."

I  grab  his  hand,  when  he  turns  to  Emily.

"Mom,"  he  says.  Emily  turns  to  him.  "Do  you  happen  to  know  anything  about  the  depths  of  Freemind?"

"Yeah,  actually.  It's  where  they  burned  all  the  Children  of  Freemind  who  died  in  the  Attack."  says  Emily. 

"Why  would  America  go  there?"  asks  Jamie.

"I  don't  know..."  I  claim.  "Obviously  for  a  certain  reason."

"It's  where  the  remains  of  her  people  are.  She  probably  wanted  to  make  it  seem  symbolic  or  something."  says  Emily.  Since  Emily  is  talking  about  death,  it  reminds  me  of  Jamie's  recent  loss.  I  need  to  talk  to  him  first. 

"Do  you  know  where  it  is?"  asks  Eli.

"Yes.  I  know  where  it  is.  It's  below  the  cells,  there's  a  trap  door  within  a  locked  hallway."  says  Emily.  We  both  nod.

"Okay."  says  Eli,  turning  to  me  and  nodding.  He  trusts  me  fully. 

"Before  we  go,  um..."  I  begin,  turning  to  Jamie.  I  look  at  Eli,  telling  him  I  want  the  two  of  us  to  have  space.  Jamie  looks  at  me  confused,  as  Eli  gets  the  hint  and  backs  up.  I  look  at  Jamie,  as  we  both  lock  eyes.  He  has  a  look  on  his  face.

"Eli  told  you,  didn't  he?"  he  says,  almost  with  a  soft  smile  on  his  face.  I  sigh,  looking  at  him  pitifully.