50

SAWYER

"Hey..."  soothes  Tyler  to  Lillette.  She  slowly  opens  her  eyes.  "Try  to  stay  awake..."

She  sighs,  closing  her  eyes  again.

"I'm  so  tired..."  she  pants. 

"I  know...  but  we  gotta  find  a  way  to  help  you."  says  Tyler.  I  look  at  Tyler,  admiring  his  big  heart.

"I  can't  get  a  signal."  says  Laura.  She's  been  given  a  radio,  which  connects  to  Freemind  Headquarters. 

"Why  can't  Cyvil  just  go  ask  them  to  help  himself?"  asks  Tyler.

"We  don't  know  where  Cyvil  is.  He's  not  responding  to  us."  says  Lim,  annoyed.  Where  could  that  guy  be  when  we  need  him?  Lillette  ends  up  falling  asleep,  making  Tyler  sigh.  Tyler  starts  shaking  his  head,  holding  his  finger  up  to  his  lip. 

"I  hesitated..."  he  mutters.  I  sulk  at  Tyler  saddened.  "I  saw  him  raise  the  gun  and  I  just  stared...  I  panicked...  but  then the gunshot  went  off,  and  that's  when  I  threw  her  to  the  ground.  You  act  fast,  you  don't  hesitate..."

"This  is  not  your  fault,  Tyler,"  I  say,  walking  over  to  him  and  crouching  down  beside  him.  "You  didn't  do  this.  Emmet  was  the  one  who  shot  Lillette."

"I  tried  to  protect  her.  But  I  couldn't  do  anything..."  says  Tyler.

"That's  right.  You  couldn't  do  anything.  They're  using  our  friends  to  get  to  us,"  I  say.  I  sigh,  looking  down  at  the  floor.  "But  if  you  want  anyone  to  blame  for  this...  blame  me."

Tyler  turns  to  me,  disapproving. 

"Sawyer,  what?"  he  asks,  like  he's  confused  on  how  this  adds  up  to  me.

"We  never  should've  been  here.  I  dragged  all  of  you  along.  Blame  me."  I  say.  Tyler  does  nothing  but  stare  at  me.  He  looks  like  he  wants  to  say  something,  but  nothing  comes  out. 

"Yep..."  I  hear  from  behind  me.  I  turn  around,  the  illusion  of   America  still  triggering  in  my  brain.  She  stares  directly  at  me,  an  evil  blank  face.  "You  sure  did."

I  wanted  to  yell,  Why  can  I  see  you?  Why  won't  you  stop  talking?  What  is  happening  to  us? 

The  veins  all  over  my  body  have  been  glowing  white  for  over  a  day  now,  and  so  have  America's.  Could  this  be  something  with  the  ignition?  What  if  we  don't  have  brain  damage,  and  the  connection  we  have  is  trying  to  send  us  a  message?

But  Laura,  Tyler,  Lillette,  and  Lim  can't  see  her.  If  I  interact  to  her,  they're  gonna  think  I'm  insane. 

"Well,  if  we  can't  get  a  signal  for  the  next  twenty  four  hours..."  Lim  begins.  His  voice  fades  out  in  my  head,  from  America  talking  over  it.

"You  shouldn't  have  confronted  me  in  the  endless  room.  It  just  made  everything  worse."  says  America  walking  around.  I  glanced  over  at  her,  trying  my  hardest  to  hear  Lim.  She  made  everything  worse!  She  kept  me  in  that  Chair!  She  realizes  if  she  tries  to  kill  me  that  way,  she  goes  down  with  me,  because  we  have  a  connection.