52

SAWYER

I  try  to  keep  it  together,  but  all  I  can  do  is  breathe  angrily. 

Harper  looks  disoriented,  confused.  Probably  confused  why  I  brought  her  here,  and  she  didn't  bring  me  to  the  Space.  The  day  I  made  Anthony  disappear,  she  brought  me  to  the  Space  in  my  sleep.  She  was  able  to  connect  her  brain  all  the  way  to  mine.

Learning  her  own  little  trick,  now  she's  here  with  me.

"Sawyer?"  she  mutters,  walking  towards  me.  "Oh  hey!  Thanks  for  the  invite!  Impressive!  I've  always  loved  visiting  you  kids."

I  continue  to  glare  at  her,  trying  to  control  my  emotions.  I'm  angry,  I'm  devastated,  and  I  feel  betrayed. 

"How  are  you?"  she  says,  noticing  the  look  on  her  face. 

She  looks  different.  She's  wearing  another  ripped  apart  dress  at  the  bottom,  but  this  time  it's  green  and  blue.  Her  hair  is  up  in  a  tall  ponytail,  the  same  old  beads  in  it.

"Did  someone  forget  to  take  their  happy  pills  this  morning?"  she  says,  smirking.  My  mouth  doesn't  flinch  a  single  smile,  as  I  go  up  to  her.  I  stand  just  inches  away  from  her,  looking  down  at  her  face. 

Once  she  really  sees  the  look  on  my  face...  and  really  processes  it...  her  smile  fades.  She  knows.  She  knows  I  know  now.

I  slowly  raise  the  knife  from  my  leggings  to  my  side  with  trembling  fingers.  Harper  continues  to  make  eye  contact  with  me,  exhaling. 

I  should  just  do  it.  I  want  to  do  it.  But  a  voice  is  telling  me  not  to.  My  mom  is  dead  because  of  Harper.  She  helped  my  mother  kill  herself  and  kept  it  from  me  for  eight  months.

I  should  just  do  it.  Make  it  fast.  My  face  tenses  up  with  sadness,  my  throat  letting  out  tearless  sobs.

I  let  out  a  grunt  in  anguish,  swing  my  arm  back,  and  swing  the  knife  towards  Harper. 

And  the  moment  it's  on  the  ridge  of  her  chest,  she  grabs  my  arm,  stopping  me.  We  both  struggle  against  the  other.  I  shake,  her  grip  on  my  arm  tightens.  She  looks  up  at  me  blankly,  but  almost  like  in  a  way  like  she's  telling  me...  I  don't  want  to  do  this... 

Then  I  start  crying.  I  inhale  high  pitched,  and  exhale  with  sobs.  Harper  slowly  and  cautiously  backs  the  knife  off  of  her  chest.  The  knife  has  left  a  tiny  bloody  mark.  I  did  that. 

I  just  tried  to  kill  Harper...  what  am  I  doing?!

I  drop  the  knife,  it  clinking  on  the  ground. 

Harper  lets  go  of  my  arm,  leaving  me  to  turn  away  from  her.  I  hold  my  hands  against  my  chest,  starting  to  sob.  I  tear  falls  from  my  eyes,  onto  the  floor  of  the  Space.

I  hear  Harper  sigh  sympathetically.

"So  you  know."  she  says.  She  says  it  in  a  way  like  she  knew  this  day  was  coming.  Whoa...  I  just  lost  it.  I  was  about  to  kill  Harper,  what  am  I  doing?  That's  not  who  I  am...  I'm  not  a  killer.