21

What  does  America  want  from  Sawyer?  Why  does  she  hate  her  so  much?  They  claim  she  attacked  their  island  but  that's  impossible.  I  don't  think  I'll  ever  understand  this  place.

I  tug  so  hard  on  the  chain  around  my  wrist  connected  to  the  wall,  I  nearly  trip  toward  the  wall. 

Lillette  leans  against  the  wall  several  feet  away,  her  wrist  also  chained  to  it,  with  a  bored  expression  on  her  face. 

I  put  my  foot  on  the  wall,  tugging  as  hard  as  I  can.

Lillette  scoffs. 

"Jamie  it's  no  use,  they're  obviously  Children  of  42  proof."  she  says  in  an  annoyed  voice.  I  give  her  a  look,  and  continue  to  struggle.

"She's  right,"  I  hear  in  the  back.  I  turn  around,  seeing  America  chilling  with  two  of  her  friends  in  the  back.  She  flips  her  hair,  brushing  some  dust  off  of  her  red  dress.  "Not  even  the  strongest  Child  of  42  can  break  through  those." 

I  roll  my  eyes,  leaning  back  against  the  wall. 

"What  do  you  want  from  Sawyer?  She's  done  nothing  to  you."  I  say.  The  two  boys  around  her  make  a  face,  turning  to  see  America's  reaction  to  that.  America  slowly  steps  over  to  me. 

"Oh  Jamie.  I  sure  think  you're  interesting.  Best  friend  of  Sawyer,  literally  inseparable.  Boyfriend  of  the  hotty  Tyler  Starglare,  and  you  train  your  ass  off  six  hours  a  day  to  defend  yourself  from  your  bullies  at  the  Camp  you  helped  escape.  Basically  a  guy  who  saved  the  Children  of  42.  Now  that's  a  story,"  she  says,  in  an  incredibly  annoying  tone.  I  stare  at  her,  wishing  I  was  anywhere  but  here.  I  lean  my  head  back  to  not  look  at  her.  "But  you  don't  know  Sawyer.  Not  her  true  colors."

The  moment  she  says  that,  I  look  back  up  at  her  to  glare  her  down. 

"You  don't  know  her."  I  snap.

"Think  of  it,  Jamie.  Do  you  ever  wonder  how  much  of  her  father  is  in  her?  Sawyer  isn't  even  human.  She  got  ninety-seven  people  killed.  Those  ninety  seven  people  were  my  friends."  America  says. 

"What  evidence  do  you  have?!  Sawyer  was  at  the  Camp,  all  her  life,  until  eight  months  ago.  Why  Sawyer?!"  I  shout.  America  gives  me  a  glare,  shaking  her  head.

"You  people  try  so  hard  to  be  deceitful  it  disgusts  me."  snaps  America,  turning  around. 

"No  I  wanna  know,"  I  snap  back.  "What  makes  Sawyer  so  important?  Why  is  she  the  threat?"

She  stands  there,  not  saying  anything.  I  lean  back  onto  the  wall. 

"That's  no  use  either."  mutters  Lillette.  If  I  could  reach  her,  I'd  probably  be  hitting  her  on  the  shoulder  right  now. 

"I'd  do  anything  to  protect  my  home.  Sawyer  and  I  didn't  just  meet  days  ago.  We  met  July  3rd,  2058."  snarls  America,  turning  around  and  walking  towards  me.  I  stare  at  her,  shaking  my  head  in  confusion. 

"That's  not  possible.  She  would've  told  me  about  you,  she  would've  left  the  Camp."  I  say. 

"I  saw  her  with  my  own  eyes.  I  heard  her  with  my  own  ears.  And  all  of  you  come  here,  acting  like  you  don't  know  what  Freemind  is,  who  we  are,  who  I  am!"  snaps  America,  walking  up  to  me.