74

SAWYER

I  let  out  a  scream  once  I  start  falling  faster  and  faster  and  faster!  Then  I  see  the  ground,  seeing  a  glimpse  of  white  fire  all  around  me.

I'm  gonna  hit  the  ground,  I  am,  I  am,  I  am!  I  close  my  eyes,  terrified  of  the  impact  my  body  will  make...  but  everything  suddenly  stops...  and  my  feet  aren't  anywhere  near  touching  ground.

Confused,  I  open  my  eyes...  and  see  white  dust  and  swirls  surrounding  my  feet  and  hands,  hovering  me  just  inches  away  from  the  ground.  I  sigh  in  relief,  letting  out  a  smile. 

Once  I  think  it,  it  drops  me  to  the  ground. 

"Thank  you  Mom."  I  say.

America.

I  turn  to  my  left,  seeing  a  huge  open  area  containing  fire.  I  shield  my  eyes  with  my  arm,  seeing  gas  radiating  from  the  fire  and  smoke  coming  along  with  it.

"America!"  I  shout,  walking  towards  the  fire.

Wait.  My  forcefields!

I  think  of  it  again,  and  I  easily  create  a  circular  shield.  I  hold  my  hand  in  front  of  me  as  the  swirling  waves  of  dust  does  its  work,  and  keeps  the  fire  out  of  my  way.

"America!"  I  call  again.  I  look  around  frantically  through  the  fire.  "America!  Where  are  you?"

I  run  through  the  fire  frantically,  horrified  if I  didn't  make  it  here  on  time. 

"America!"  I  shout.

"Why  did  you  come  here?"  I  suddenly  hear  behind  me.  I  calmly  turn  my  body  around,  and  that's  when  I  see  America...  holding  her  ignited  sword  to  her  throat.  She  looks  at  me,  the  tears  in  her  eyes  shining  from  the  tears  in  her  eyes.  She  has  ash  all  over  her,  her  hair  is  greasy  with  sweat,  and  she  is  covered  in  blood  everywhere.

"America..."  I  say,  putting  my  hand  out  in  front  of  me.  I  put  out  my  shield,  and  slowly  drift  away  the  fire  around  us  with  my  mind,  giving  us  space.  "You  don't  want  to  do  this..."

"I  deserve  this..."  cries  America.  "I'm  a  monster..."

"You're  not  a  monster...!"  I  assure,  with  a  high  voice.

"I  killed  my  brother..."  she  cries. 

"Hey,  hey,  it's  okay!  You  didn't  kill  him,  we  found  him  in  time.  He's  alive."  I  say  calmly.  America  scrunches  her  eyebrows,  looking  at  me  in  doubt. 

"I  watched  him  die."  she  says. 

"No,  he's  okay.  I  saved  him,"  I  say.  I  ignite  waves  swirling  around  in  my  hands.  "With  this  power.  With  the  power  you're  using  to  hurt  yourself."

She  continues  to  look  at  me,  not  moving  her  hand  from  her  throat.  She  inches  it  closer  to  her  throat,  and  I  barely  see  her  skin  starting  to  darken  up.

"Wait,  wait,  wait,  America,  America..."  I  say  frantically.  "Just  think  about  it.  You  still  have  so  much  to  live  for.  Your  brother,  your  people!"