9

SAWYER

"No!  They're  getting  away!"  someone  shouts.  We  place  our  feet  on  a  ledge,  and  turn  to  them.  Cyvil  looks  at  us,  in  a  saddened  manner.  I'm  surprised  by  his  expression  when  everyone  else  in  the  room  sprints  toward  us. 

A  huge  ball  of  fire  is  suddenly  jetting  toward  us.  Eli  steps  in  front  of  me,  and  forms  a  telekinetic  shield.  The  fire  springs  off  of  his  force,  and  slams  back  down  into  the  crowd,  making  everyone  bolt  out  of  the  way. 

"Break  us  out  of  here,  I'll  cover  you!"  he  exclaims. 

I  quickly  turn  to  the  glass.  I  hold  out  my  elbow  in  front  of  my  face  and  plunge  my  body  into  it.  I'm  greeted  by  a  gust  of  wind  once  I  shatter  a  hole  into  the  thick  glass.  I  kick  open  an  opening  for  us.  I  grab  Eli,  pulling  him  up  into  the  opening. 

We  turn  around  to  all  the  people  as  we  step  out.  All  of  the  people  have  now  put  their  masks  over  their  heads,  standing  behind  another  masked  figure.  Their  mask  is  different,  darker.  They  must  be  another  leader.

"Head  outside!"  a  woman's  voice  comes  from  behind  the  mask.

"America  stop!"  shrieks  Cyvil.

America? 

Each  person  in  the  room  starts  running  out. 

"Kill  the  boy!  Don't  let  Sawyer  leave!"  demands  the  masked  woman.

"NO!"  shrieks  Cyvil.

Shuddering  spiders  are  sent  down  my  spine.  They're  want  to  kill  Eli...!

"Go.  GO!"  I  say  urgently,  pushing  Eli  out  onto  the  roof.  We  step  out,  finding  ourselves  on  the  high  roof,  with  many  shapes,  edges,  and  corners.  But  we're  close  to  the  shore.  We  see  the  yacht  waiting  there. 

I  take  out  the  radio  Laura  gave  us,  and  scream  into  it  as  Eli  and  I  rush  to  the  edge  of  the  building.  "Laura!  Lim!  Pick  up!"  I  shriek.

We  start  running  on  a  narrow,  stone  edge,  just  over  the  high  ground  shore.

"Sawyer?  What  happened?  What's  wrong?"  comes  Laura's  worried  voice.

"There  are  people  in  there!  Children  of  Freemind!  They  all  have  powers  and  they're  coming  outside!  Cover  for  us!"  I  shriek.  They  brought  large  rifles  that  shoot  paralytic  darts,  that  should  do  it.

"But─!"

"COVER  FOR  US!"  I  scream.  My  foot  suddenly  slips  off  of  the  edge  of  the  roof,  and  I  find  my  entire  body  in  contact  with  the  air. 

I  shriek  as  I  quickly  grab  the  edge  of  the  stone  with  my  hand,  the  device  flying  out  of  my  hands.  I  catch  my  breath  from  the  terror  that  had  just  flown  through  my  body.  I  below  down,  and  barely  see  the  radio  slam  against  the  rocks,  shattering  into  several  tiny  pieces.  I  stare  in  shock,  the  fact  that  that  radio  took  seconds  to  fall...  If  that  would've  been  me  though...

"Sawyer!"  exclaims  Eli.  He  takes  my  hands  and  pulls  me  up.  Once  my  feet  reach  the  cement,  I  hug  Eli  close,  so  relieved  to  be  in  his  arms.  "You  okay?"