23

SAWYER

I bolt awake, sitting straight up, immediately starting to panic.

"No! NO! No!" I shriek.

"Sawyer! Sawyer, hey! Hey, hey hey hey, it's okay!" I hear next to me, hands grabbing onto me and wrapping around me.

"Calm down, Sawyer!" I hear from another voice.

"No! Mom! No! She's gone! She's gone! Please no!" I shriek. I realize Laura is sitting next to me, grabbing onto me as Lim does the same.

"Who's gone? Sawyer, nobody's gone! We're right here! It's okay!" exclaims Laura. I start to calm down, both of Lim and Laura's hands clutching onto mine. Laura places her hands on the sides of my face, getting me to look at her. "Breathe... just breathe."

I shudder out calmer breathes.

"Where... where am I?" I shudder, tears already starting to form in my eyes.

"Cyvil brought us to a secret room, under the lobby. America's not here, and doesn't know we're here either. You're safe." soothes Laura.

"H-h-how? I..." I cry.

"Cyvil informed us America set you up. He found you two lying on the ground unconscious. He took his sister, Lim and I took you here. Everything's okay now." says Laura. I look at her, immediately starting to break down. All the tears stream down my face as she holds my head close. I turn to her, putting my hands around her.

"Laura... my mom's dead..." I cry.

"What?" she says. "What do you mean?"

"America told me my mom is dead. She killed herself, Laura...! She killed herself...!" I cry. Laura sighs, saddened.

"Sawyer, America's delusional, you shouldn't believe what she says to you." says Laura.

"It adds up though. She's been dead for months now, and I didn't do anything. I was dumb enough to believe she was just some lonely woman who never communicated!" I wail.

"Sawyer, no! You were focused on your own life, this isn't your fault. If your mom was really dead, we would've known it by now. America's just trying to get to you." assures Laura. I continue to cry, not believing an inch of that. But then another series of worries strikes me.

"Eli! Eli! Where's Eli?!" I shriek.

Laura and Lim look at me, like they're worried to answer me.

"...We don't know." says Lim. I break down so hard, it's almost like I can't breathe. Laura holds me close.

"No...! No... no no...!" I cry. "They have to be alive, they just have to be! Please tell me you know where they are! Please, please..."

"Shh..." soothes Laura.

"I couldn't save him... I couldn't save any of them from her..." I weep.

"It's not your fault..." soothes Laura. "America is some psychopath out for revenge, for something you didn't do. It's okay."

I cry in Laura's arms for several more minutes... until I finally have the energy to sit up.

"Okay..." I croak. "We don't know where they are, but if anyone can get it out of America, it's Cyvil. Once he tells us, we go get them and─"