68

LAURA

"This isn't the exit." I say, realizing we've reached a dead end in the hallway. Aaron and I turn around.

"We should go find Tyler." he says. Once we turn left around the corner, a person suddenly pops out from behind.

"You're one of them!" the boy shouts. I yelp, once he lunges at me. I quickly act upon it, throwing my fist across his face. He loses his balances, running into Aaron. Aaron swerves the boy to the wall, hitting his head against it.

The boy lets out a groan, as he lays there.

Aaron and I turn to each other in shock, but in total loving desperation.

Wow, I'm in love with him!

Not waiting a split second, both of us go up to each other and kiss. We kiss again, and again. I had to admit it to myself! I can't hold back my emotions anymore, I wanna be with him. He's always been more than just a friend.

We stop kissing, and look at each other. We both briefly smile, feeling incredibly happy we both reached this point.

I notice Aaron is looking at something behind me, making me look...

I see Tyler, and the other four that have just gotten back... all staring at us completely jaw dropped. Aaron doesn't look embarrassed at all, and doesn't look like he regrets anything. I back away from Aaron, smiling awkwardly.

"Hey guys, so glad you made it!" I exclaim. They all continue to stare.

"I fucking called it..." says Jamie, smirking with his arms crossed. Why is everyone taking their time to stare at us?!

"Okay, none of you saw anything! First off, hey guys." I say, remembering to reunite with them. I go up to Eli and hug him.

"Hey," he says, hugging me back. I let go of him to look at him.

"You okay?" I say, from what we just heard on the intercom.

"Yeah, I just want to get her back." he says, pretty shaken up. I put my hands on his arms, nodding.

"Yeah, we all do." I say, getting it. Lim goes up to Jamie, hugging him, briefly talking to him. He puts his arm on Grace and Levin, smiling. I go up to Jamie, hugging him when he briefly hugs me back. I go up to Grace and Levin, hugging them briefly as well.

"We need a plan," I say. "Did you all come from Freemind Headquarters?"

"Yes, we did. We got attacked along the way, but we made it." says Jamie.

"Attacked? Who attacked you?" asks Lim, concerned.

"The League." says this random woman. Who is she?! She's got dark curly hair, and is wearing a dark Freemind jacket like the rest of them.

"The 'League'?" asks Tyler, confused.

"They're guardsmen. They monitor Freemind's area and work at the headquarters." says the woman, in an annoyingly calm tone.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I ask, trying to imply why I'm wondering why she's here.

"I'm Emily, I work there." says the woman.

"Eli's mom." points out Jamie.

"Wha-what?" I say.

"I know, I was shocked too." says Tyler.

"Okay, this is way too hard to follow," I say, putting my hands by head. I turn to Emily. "Wait so, actually, for real, you're Eli's mother?"

"Yes... I am." says Emily, turning to Eli. Eli turns to me nodding.

"Oh, so you're telling me you're the woman who abandoned her child and came to work for the Children of Freemind?" I say, raising my eyebrows.

"Laura." says Eli.

"It wasn't like that!" says Emily, already seeming to get offended.

"You're working for America!" I snap.

"I worked with her." corrects Emily.

"Oh, like that's any better! Are you telling me you knew about this?" I say. Aaron puts his hand on my shoulder, muttering my name.

"You don't know America's background, I knew she was planning this, but I didn't know it could possibly go this direction!" Emily talks back. I raise my eyebrows, surprised.

"America's the one you're defending? What about your own child?" I say, pointing to Eli. "If you know America, then how about you go and talk some sense to her? Tell her she's hurting your own son, after you hurt him!"

"Laura!" exclaims Aaron.

"We don't have time for this!" snaps Eli, stepping between us. "We need to focus okay? We've only got a few minutes until America may take action!"

Emily and I stare each other down, angered.

"One more thing," says Emily. Wow she's terrible. "I did what I thought was right for my child."

"Yeah?" I say, raising my eyebrows overwhelmed. I go up to her face to face. "Well America has my child. And if you don't tell us, how the hell we can get to her, we're gonna have problems."

She stares up at me, staring down at the floor, and then at me again. She nods, listening to me. I walk away from her.

"America claims that Sawyer got someone she loved killed. Therefore she's getting her revenge," says Emily. "If Sawyer and America have been here for two weeks, perhaps Sawyer knows how to get to her."

"Sawyer did say she knew what she was doing. It's almost like she wanted America to take her." Eli points out.

"Exactly." says Emily.

"Why would Sawyer want that to happen?" I ask.

"Like Emily said. She may know America's breaking point," says Jamie. "So she can trick her. Hold her up. Distract her."

We all nod, everything coming together. Sawyer always has tricks up her sleeves she doesn't think we can trust.

"Now we just need to think of where she could be? Where would America have taken her?" I ask. That's what leaves us all stuck, all of us going silent. I see Tyler's eyes light up, and he turns to Jamie.

"Oh my God, your enhanced intelligence trick," says Tyler. Jamie looks at him confused, but then looks like he knows what he's talking about. "When you looked for Freemind, you saw everything happening in the present and an entire illusion of the island appeared in front of you. You can look for where Sawyer and America may be."

"Holy shit, that's true!" I exclaim, grabbing Jamie's shoulder.

"Okay, okay, I only did that once though. I don't know if I can do it again." says Jamie.

"You know how to do it. Find Sawyer's location and get her the hell away from America." says Eli, grabbing Jamie's shoulders. Jamie nods, going along with it really quickly, getting confident.

He turns to Tyler.

"You are a genius, I love you!" he exclaims.

"Love you too, go get her." says Tyler, smirking. Jamie quickly kisses Tyler on the cheek, and bolts away, but he quickly stops.

"Where do I go after this?" asks Jamie.

"I'll be in the lobby!" exclaims Lim. Jamie nods, bolting away again.

"What do we do now?" asks Levin.

"Emily's a doctor, if Sawyer's hurt, she should come with us." says Eli.

"Grace, Levin, Tyler there's an underground bedroom under the lobby. You should find a hallway, and a trapdoor under the rug. Lillette is there, so stay with her," I say. The three nod. "The rest of us, come with me."