30

LILLETTE

Emmet gives Tyler another brutal punch in the face. Tyler groans his head leaning towards the left. I keep trying to look at Tyler, desperately hoping he's okay. They've tied us with these really thick binds, back to back, and out of the cell. Emmet and three other boys surround us.

"You think you're clever letting them escape?" snaps Emmet. Emmet throws another punch to Tyler's face, making him wail. I hear blood splatter to the floor.

"Stop it! Leave him alone!" I shout at Emmet.

"It's a shame isn't it? Your little boyfriend isn't gonna come for your rescue! He's long gone!" exclaims Emmet.

"He didn't do anything! Stop!" I wail. It's gone silent, until I hear Emmet's footsteps walk over to me. He smirks down at me, making me glare up at him.

"Oh you both did things, princess," he says. "And thanks to you, America is gonna kill me."

That's true... I wonder what America's orders were if some of us escaped.

"Hey just leave her alone man. I let them escape and told them to go." mumbles Tyler.

"Tyler..." I mutter, telling him not to do that. Emmet sighs, shaking his head, and even smiling.

"Maybe it's a good thing both of you are here," he says. His face inches towards mine, giving me a malicious smile. I stare at him, never feeling so angry. "You have... no idea... how long I've been waiting to get back at you."

Emmet tilts his head at me, giving me an even bigger smile.

Get out of my face...!

He pats me on the head, sits up, and starts walking towards the door.

"Come on guys. These two aren't just worth our time right now." he says. I glare at him all the way out, until all four of them walk through the door.

"Sit tight." one of them taunts. They all get a laugh at that, and close the door behind them. I sigh in relief, Tyler and I finally are alone in here.

"Are you okay?" I ask first. Tyler inhales, about to answer.

"Well I got punched in the face like nine times... what do you think?" he groans. I sigh again.

"I don't know how much we can take from them. Do you really think Eli and Jamie are gonna make it there?" I ask. Tyler lets out heavy breaths for a few seconds.

"They'll make it. It'll probably just take a while..." he mutters. We sit in another round of silence, until I say something.

"Tyler... just in case we don't make it out of here..." I begin.

"Stop... stop..." mumbles Tyler.

"But just in case we don't..." I continue.

"Lillette, please don't. Too hurt to argue." he mumbles.

"I'm gonna say it anyway," I say. Tyler sighs, not wanting to hear it. "You know... I didn't make a great impression on all of you... that's no secret."

Tyler doesn't respond or try to stop me anymore.

"Just please know... I do consider you guys my friends. Even after saying it over and over that we weren't. But you... you were more than a friend, Tyler. At least to me," I say. I wonder what he's thinking. I start to snicker, remembering the times we had. "But do you remember... tenth year? We were fourteen years old... I had braces, and you had floppy hair?"