Submission 1197

I was actually in 2nd. I was never good at making friends, but I always had one friend. We'll call her FRIEND. FRIEND and I had been friends since forever. And we had one bully, named Bully1. Bully1 was very rude, and she had a lot of friends. Bully2 and Bully3 were her "sidekicks". FRIEND and I always tried our best to ignore them, but the teasing never ceased. Bully1's brother hated me, too. I think he was a Freshman in high school. Anyways, I joined this afterschool fitness club with my close cousin. FRIEND didn't join it with me, but that was okay with me. One day, I was out running laps on cement. Me and my cousin were playing ball, because he was sitting in a chair with his broken leg. I told him to wait, for I was going to ask if any of his personal friends would like to entertain him. They said yes, and went ahead. I was making my way across the courtyard when I heard laughs. Naturally, my curiosity peaked. I looked behind me, and then one of the older one's (Bully1's friend) called me a profanity. I didn't know what it meant exactly, but my parents had used it many times, so I cried. And then Bully1 and her posse came up around me and started shoving me really hard, so hard that I hit the pavement. It hurt...a lot. My cousin shouted across the courtyard, and the teachers punished the other kids, then they yelled at me for even "interacting" with the older kids. I apologized to Bully1 and her older brother. That's when me and my cousin transferred. 

 ... 

That school wasn't any better. It might've been worse.But what I'm trying to say is that if you have ANY friends with depression or issues anywhere, please help them and acknowledge how they feel. My family ignored the fact that I felt uncomfortable with my gender, and they said I'd get over it. I haven't gotten over it, and I still smile every day, even if my sister makes fun of me for it and humiliates me in school. Bullying is not a joke.

ADVICE: I learned that if your friend doesn't try to help you, then they aren't your friend. And remember that when bullies bully you, they probably have their own insecurities. Ask them if they need a friend to talk to in the most casual way. And be there for anyone who goes through bullying (as well as other issues). Have the best day!