Ellie & Dina (The Last of Us)

A/N: What if When Ellie returns, Dina is too hurt, too mad to forgive her. Ellie falls into some depression. Is she strong enough to see the light or is light just out of her reach

TW: for suicidal thoughts, self harming (if reading this makes you uncomfortable or gives you bad thoughts please don't read it.)

There it was. Jackson. She was finally there. She was exhausted beyond belief. After going to the farm and finding empty. She knew that it was going to be rough. Her spirts were low. Lower than ever. The walk was back to Jackson was far a day's walk. She didn't rest. She needed to get back to Dina. She needed to see her. She wrote down what she was going to say in her journal.

She made her way down the hill only a mile away from the wall now. She clutched her backpack looking down at the hand that had two fingers missing.

"Stop! Who a-Ellie?! Open it. Open it she lives here." She heard a voice call out. The gate was pulled open. She didn't get far until she was pulled into a warm hug.

"Ellie. Oh Ellie." The sound of Maria's voice she felt her shoulders relax. Just tad bit.

"Come on. You need-Dina. Is Dina here." "She's here. She's safe. So is JJ." Maria sighed and lead her towards her house. Once they were in the house she sat Ellie on the chair. The same chair Dina sat on almost a year ago. Maria took Ellie in. How skinny, fragile, bruised she looked. And those were only the bruises and cuts she could see. She held in the small gasp when she saw the missing fingers.

"Ellie."

"I need to speak to Dina." Ellie just wanted one thing and one thing only. She didn't regret leaving. She just hated leaving Dina. But she needed to do it. She needed to go after Abby. She had to. She was going to kill her. She went to Santa Barbara with one thing in mind and one thing only. To find Abby and kill her. But when it came down to it. She couldn't. When she was close to doing it. She saw a flash of Joel. Joel sitting on his porch playing his guitar. She couldn't.

"Go." She was tired. Tired of all the back and forth mess. Tired of all the fighting. Feeling so fragile and just broken.

"You can't. You really broke her heart Ellie. She was devastated when you left. Not knowing if you were alive or dead. It really broke her." Ellie tears blurred her vision she looked down and opened her mouth but was stopped when a new voice was heard through out the house. Both heads snapped towards the voice.

"Maria you in here. Kevin said that Tommy-" Ellie stood up as Dina walked into the room. Dina froze at the sight. It all felt like slow motion Ellie saw the pure relief that showed on the brown eyed girls face. But as soon as the relief shown it was gone. And the relief was replaced with anger.

"Dina I-Don't. Just don't Ellie." As she went to walk away Ellie quickly followed her.

"Dina please just-What did I say before you left Ellie?" Ellie looked into those brown eyes that she could easily read but now. Now she couldn't.

"That you won't do this again." Her voice cracked and Dina nodded as she took one look at Ellie. Her eyes traveling down to Ellie's hands. Her eyes widening at the sight of the missing fingers. Ellie saw this and she felt even more self conscious than before. She stuffed her hand in her pocket.

"I'm glad you're okay. But I can't go through this again. I can't open my heart to you. Not after how you left. You left me Ellie."

"I can't lose you Dina."

"You didn't Ellie. I lost you." And like that she left the house. Maria being able to catch Ellie before she fell to the floor as she cried.

*